« Labor Day with the Dems | Main | Closing McClellan a no-go »

September 06, 2006

Schwigen and Huff, Part II

So the Rock Island County sheriff's office has an annual budget of about $8.5 million; there are about 175 employees. They provide police service to rural areas, operate a jail that usually has about 300 people locked up in it, guard the courthouse, and serve civil papers and arrest warrants.

In keeping the operation going, the sheriff takes on a considerable logistics task; buying, fueling and maintaining a fleet of vehices (not sure how many these days); feeding and caring for those 300 prisoners, not to mention running them back and forth to court. There are also near-constant negotiations with one or another of the villages that dot the county over providing police services, and, of course, dealing with a county board that can be pretty with a dollar when it wants to be, which is pretty often.

With a long-time incumbent leaving office, you'd think it's a great time to assess and evaluate operations, and plan whatever changes seem appropriate. You'd also think the candidates for the office would be the logical people to do the assessing, evaluating and recommending. You'd particularly expect that when both candidates, the Republican Kraig Schwigen and the Democrat Mike Huff, are veteran employees, the former a lieutenant and the latter a sergeant.

But I haven't seen or heard anything like that. Waving along parade routes and one-on-one politicking seems to be about it. And the one-on-one stuff seems likely to be mostly mutual character assassination, if the comments posted on this string are indictitive of the buzz out there.

Hell of a campaign, guys.

Posted by jcb at September 6, 2006 11:12 PM

Comments

You are right, Mr. Beydler. There are a multitude of problems and opportunities facing this county's next sheriff. What are we going to do about child sex offenders? What about the growing spread of methamphetamine and the resulting crime waves in rural areas? Is the current office staffed effectively?

Etc., etc. etc.

Let's hope that by mid October these brand new candidates will have issued something about what they plan to do and how they plan to improve the office, instead of having their jackals spend time doing smear politics on the blogs.

Posted by: grillmaster deluxe II at September 6, 2006 11:54 PM

WWW.VOTEHUFF.COM

don't think schwigen has one.

Posted by: voter at September 7, 2006 07:41 AM

Huff's website does not tell you all the stuff he wants to do besides the triad system, which I believe is a waste of money. The first time a front door has to get kicked in because some elderly person was out to eat and not answering their phone, then they will rethink it when the County gets sued.

Posted by: me at September 7, 2006 08:37 AM

I don't think voter saw the previous post where the link was provided... Apparently reading is not a skill that is taught anymore...

jcb, I too wish politicians spent more time on the issues instead of slamming each other. Since your older than me can you please lie to me and say that in the good ole days thats how things worked??? please? I am young and naive enough to beleive it!

Posted by: Robbie at September 7, 2006 08:59 AM

Nothing that has been said about Schwigen is a smear tactic. When the general public doesn't know the candidates personally or worked with them they are in the dark. Simply informing the voters of the type of person he is and the underhanded things he was more than happy to be a part of. The voters spoke up in the primary and demanded a new democratic candidate for sheriff and Mr. Huff is the man for the job. No one would be happy putting the same type of person in office again. Kraig can't distance himself from all the years he was right there exacting revenge on co-workers if they didn't see eye to eye on everything. When Grchan and Fisher had a vendetta against someone because they(deputies) chose to take the moral high road and not partake in their schemes against another employee they were punished for it. Kraig was right there with them doing all of it. There are many, many people they have screwed over and we are not going to let Kraig think we have forgotten. In order to be a leader you have to have the respect of your peers and Kraig is SOL there. I read in the paper recently that Kraig's son is studying law enforcement. Does that mean that in a few years we can expect that if he were sheriff his son would make lieutenant in record time just like Fisher's kid? I can only imagine so. Let's remember that Kraig has been mentored by the two currently in the top positions and he has said very little needs to change. The people have waited a long time to change the things that are going on in the dept. and the employees are way over do for a decent work environment. Shouldn't a dept. be run in such a manner that promotions are based on qualifications, experience, seniority and hardwork, instead of who's, willing to cut who's throat to better themselves and promotions based on who's contributed to the sheriff's campaign fund lately? These are the things that the public has a right to be informed of. You can't be a part of the current problem and hide from it later and pretend you had nothing to do with it. Kraig, some of us were born at night, just not last night.

Posted by: ananymous at September 7, 2006 09:17 AM

What is Schwigen going to do for the department? Have not heard anything.

Posted by: RI DEM at September 7, 2006 10:57 AM

I agree with you absolutely that the past should not be forgotten. Lets find out what Mike Huff is really about. If you are a close friend or associate of Mike Huff go to him and request to see his personnel file and request that he release it to the public so we may all know his true colors. Maybe if you are such a close friend you can enlighten us on his quick draw days. And I agree with the person in the other blog that I dont put much faith in you comment anyway because you are probably a disgruntled employee who was disciplined for your misjudgements or outright disregard for policies and procedures.

Posted by: Schwigen supporter at September 7, 2006 11:08 AM

Mike,make your records available for the public to see and then lets start the debates so that we can truly evaluate your past accomplishments.Hiding behind yard signs just isn't going to cut it.

Posted by: Citizen for better government at September 7, 2006 12:55 PM

I think three words sum this whole thing up. "Release Huff's File".

Posted by: Schwigen Supporter at September 7, 2006 04:13 PM

Huff has nothing to prove. He has already won an election. Something Schwigen hasn't even been in yet.

Next republicans. Huff already has the votes.

Posted by: Tom at September 7, 2006 04:47 PM

I am the wife of a Deputy and have heard about this web page and have decided to see what all the commotion is about. I am shocked at what I have read and have decided to post some observations of my own. I notice that Lt. Schwigen has made his personal file available for ALL the public to view where Sgt. Huff has NOT. Why is that? Is there something in Sgt. Huff's file that will discredit him? We have to wonder why Sgt. Huff is ignoring the people of Rock Island County when they are requesting to view his personal file. One blog questioned why most vehicles parked at the jail have "Huff" signs on them...it is NOT because Deputies don't support Schwigen...it is because Deputies have take-home squads and don't drive personal vehicles to the department. Sgt. Huff has said that he "doesn't need the support of the deputies to win the election." Is Huff telling the deputies that they are insignificant? Shouldn't a potential Sheriff want the support of those he may one day govern? I was also wondering about another blog which stated that Schwigen was campaigning at the funeral of a fallen Moline officer. This was very interesting to me...since I was there and saw with my own eyes that he arrived in his personal vehicle (not campaign vehicle) with his wife and spoke with ONE person...a jailer. I also need to comment about a blog which stated Schwigen campaigned at the benefit of a jailer who's young son was diagnosed with cancer. The suggestion of this is absoloutely ridiculous. Why do people have to turn an act of kindness into something ugly? I have the utmost respect for Lt. Schwigen. Lt. Schwigen went to the benefit...knowing he was not supported politically by the child's father(a jailer)...he made a generous contribution (which is never mentioned) and he did it in support for the life of the child. He gained nothing politically by going to the benefit. I am starting to question those who support Huff. Why are so many jailers and their families supporting him? Has Huff been making promises to the jailers and their families in an attempt to WIN the election. Is he promising them jobs and new positions? If so...than the only reason people support him is for SELFISH reasons. Any supporter who is looking for a favor from Huff is not a civil servant..they do not have the people of Rock Island County in mind..only their own best interests. If Huff is elected, the PEOPLE of Rock Island County LOSE. Let's have a debate between the two candidates. This election is about leadership. I believe you can tell where a person is going when you look where they have been. The leadership is in Lt. Schwigen's personal file. Where is Sgt. Huff's file? Lt. Schwigen has my vote. To vote otherwise, is SELFISH.

Posted by: Wife of a Deputy at September 7, 2006 07:37 PM

Hey Tom apparently you have your head in the sand. Huff won by defualt. I say that because Mickey Mouse could have run against Grchan and won. The people were tired of Grchan and it was time for him to go. The only reason Huff won was because there was no one else to vote for in the primary. This probably was the same way Huff was elected as the FOP President, there were no other candidates. As far as Huff having nothing to prove, I think he has alot to prove. As several people have pointed out Huff will not release his personnel file to the public to truly believe he has good ethics and morals. Do you really believe that Mike Huff is Mr. Clean? I dont think so. As a candidate running for an elected position of such importance and trust I believe the citizens are entitled to know everything about who you are in your professional life and your personal life. There have been numerous things brought out in several blogs about incidents and situations ranging from his quick draw days to personal domestics and no one will answer or explain them. Everyone supporting Huff keeps commenting on Lt. Schwigen being in internal affairs and having to investigate and discipline officers. I hate to inform you but that is the job description for that position. I would also have to add that the Deputies are covered by the FOP and have representation provided from the state lodge. I would have to assume that the Deputies disciplined were fairly represented, so I doubt that the head hunting accusation would be correct. It's not possible with the FOP in place. As far as the other accusations about Lt. Schwigen and his business of developing neighborhoods and building homes, I think by doing this he shows his commitment to Rock island County and the future. I know what your asking and heres the answer, Absolutly part of his agenda by running his business is to make a profit for himself to support his family. But I would also say that anyone who works for a living is working to make money, unless you have just won the lottery. I believe Lt. Schwigen has demostrated his ethics and morals by releasing his personnel file at the beginning and by his professionalism at the Sheriff's Department. I believe he has also demostrated that he is intelligent enough to work a full time job, work a second job at the Rock Island Gun Auction and also run a private business. He has proved he has the leadership ability to do all three at one time. It is quite obvious he would be able to handle the responsibility of running the Sheriff's department with no problem. As my name states A democrat supporting a Republican. Unless Mike Huff can prove otherwise by releasing his file to the public and show he has nothing to hide, I'm voting for Lt. Schwigen.

Posted by: Democrat supporting a Republican. at September 7, 2006 09:29 PM

Schwigen people, quite your sorry a** whinning. You people are silly. ha ha ha ha. I still think it is funny that the top official in the county along with the rest of them support Huff, yet, of course, they are all wrong and you are right. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys kill me. I have a good time laughing at all of this goofyness.

Posted by: rico voter at September 7, 2006 09:39 PM

As a Democrat and Union Employee I have to question the agenda of the republican candidate for Sheriff. He was not on the ballot in March. How can he attempt to justify that? Mr Schwigen was going to retire sometime this year. I know when I plan on retiring it would be a planned life event not a spur of the moment decision that would change within a few months time. Mr Schwigen was the internal affairs officer under the current gestapo like administration and he was also re-assigned by that administration after announcing his intention to be caucused in by the republican party. Why was he re-assigned? Wouldn't that re-assignment be considered a black mark on his record? Did he fall from grace? I was also present at the benefit for the little boy. The event was switched from a Huff for Sheriff Fundraiser to the benefit for the little boy when it became known that there would be extreme medical expenses. Mike Huff made the decision to cancel his fundraiser to host the benefit and come to the aid of a co-workers family. This was a very selfless act and I commend Mike for doing so. There were no Huff for Sheriff Signs anywhere to be found at the benefit, no campaigning from the elected Democratic candidate whatsoever. Mr. Schwigen did attend the fundraiser and was attempting to solicit votes while there. I heard him and recieved comments from quite a few attendees to attest to the fact that he was indeed campaigning at the benefit, this offended many of the people in attendance. I have nothing to gain from stating my opinion, no job promises for me, I don't even work for the Rock Island County Sheriff's Department I just know a good Sheriff candidate when I see one. Mike Huff is the best choice for Sheriff.
When new administrations come in, there is certainly going to be change. That is a very common place practice in any type of business wether Private or Public sector.

Posted by: In Solidarity at September 7, 2006 09:50 PM

I can't believe the people hiding behind made up names. I have worked with Mike Huff for over sixteen years and have come to respect him on his union issues. Four years ago, we had five candidates to chose from and I knew everyone of them. One was even my union president, but I chose Mike Huff because of his platform on straighting out major issues in the Correctional Center.

All of the people that were with Mike Huff four years ago, had a long four years of retaliation. Some of that retaliation came from Kraig Schwigen. Myself and three other Correctional Officers were assigned to the same post for four months while other Correctional Officers continued to rotate posts. Kraig Schwigen was the acting Jail Administrator. We filed an Unfair Labor Practice, later settled with the county saying they made a mistake.

Mike Huff has been an active union Rep supporting his fellow union members while Kraig Schwigen and the current administration went after people. Mike Huff wasn't scared to stand up to them, even costing him his job because of it, but after all was said and done he was reinstated with back pay. This one discharge cost the tax payers thousands of dollars. Kraig Schwigen and the current administration didn't learn from that case, they discharged two other employees who were later reinstated, thousands of more tax dollars.

As a long time employee of the Sheriff's Department. My vote will be going to Mike Huff the candidate that campaigned on issues not because Grchan lost.

Posted by: Jeff Stulir (Correctional Officer) at September 7, 2006 09:55 PM

That's funny that the wife says he didn't do any campaigning. Then why did he show up in his campaign shirt and give out some business cards? People did take pics at this event you know. It may have been generous to show up and pay for a couple meal tickets like many other people, but perhaps the rest of the story should be told. This benefit was put together by many people with one goal in mind and that was to help this child and his family. How did this benefit get started? Let me tell you. Mr. Huff had a fundraiser scheduled for that day and had the shelter reserved. When he heard about what this family was going through, he offered his reserved shelter to hold the benefit and then was right there helping to put it together quickly. Mr. Huff was very clear that the campaign could wait and this was far more important and did NOT want any mention of the campaign that day. Mr. Huff did not show up in a campaign shirt, in fact he was there helping serve the meals. Not because he wanted any pats on the back, simply because he is a good person who wanted to help. I do not work for Mr. Huff's campaign just know him through this benefit and that proved to me along with many other people that he is a stand up guy. Mr. Huff is a honest, caring person that I will be more than happy to vote for. I think that says it all for this man's character and the true person he is.

Posted by: anonymous at September 7, 2006 10:17 PM

Jeff if you are not understanding any of this, I will explain it. We have asked over and over again for someone to explain the major issues and for Mike Huff to release his personnel file for public review. if their are major issues other then Deputies receiving disciple, lets hear them. If Mike Huff was railroaded it should be documented in his file. Contact Mike Huff and ask him to release his file to the media as Lt. Schwigen has done. Someone has already stated that his web site does not share any of Mike Huff's ideas or plans for the future of the Sheriff's Department. Except the TRIAD system and that issue has already been covered. Also to correct you on the timing of Lt. Schwigen announcing that he was running for Sheriff, He did it before the Democratic primary and this was probably why he showed up for work and found the locks changed on his office door. If you check the facts, that was just before he was sent to the night watch by Grchan. Hmmm, maybe he is not so chummy with Sheriff Grchan as many of you believe. As for Lt. Schwigen showing up in a campaign shirt to a benefit, I have seen him out and about on several occassions and have not once seen him wearing a shirt that says Schwigen for Sheriff except at the parade's I have seen him in. I have although, seen him wearing a polo type shirt that simply says Rock Island County Sheriffs Department. I have also seen officers from other departments wearing similar shirts that shows their pride in their department. Does this mean they are all campaining every time they wear their shirt? I think not. To RICO Voter is that the only opinion you have. Enlighten us on who the top official in the county is and the rest of them that you make reference to. Maybe I'm wrong but isn't the top official in the county the taxpayers? maybe you are refering to the top Democrat? If you are, I suppose you would be correct. The top democrat is going to support the democatic candidate. But I can assure you that if Mike Huff is the best they have to offer as far as democratic candidates for Sheriff, we are in serious trouble in this county. Let me ask you this, did the top county official endorse Mike Huff before the primary? did he step forward and say MIKE HUFFS OUR MAN. I don't think so. To anonymous: Let me see, If I am running for an elected position and I have a fundraiser planned and my campaign manager says " hey, lets change this to a benefit for an ill child we can act like we really care and all the people that come will love you". It is quite clear that his campaign tactic worked on you and how many other people. Had the timing been different and you told me this happened several years ago when there was no campaign going on, and Mike came up with this on his own to hold a fundraiser I would have patted Mike Huff on the back and commended him for being a stand up guy. But when it happen's during an election it makes me wonder his motive.

Posted by: Democrat supporting a Republican. at September 7, 2006 11:28 PM

One last thing to Jeff. It is clear to me that you are not afraid to take the side of Mike Huff. As expected in a campaign such as this were there are two people running for a top position some people are afraid to take sides due to the chance of repercusssions and retaliation if the right candidate does not get elected. It would seem to me that if Lt. Schwigen were such a head hunter and went after people as you claim. You would not want to identify yourself. By you identifying yourself shows me that maybe he is not the monster you and Mike Huff's other supporters are making him out be. It's clear you are not that afraid of him and maybe all this talk about him going after people is just to try to make Mike look better because his personnel file does not. Although now that I think of it, we don't know what Mike's file would do for him because he wont release it.

Posted by: Democrat supporting a Republican. at September 7, 2006 11:46 PM

Jeff -- thank you. I'm constantly disappointed that more people aren't willing to say who they are.

Democrat supporting a Republican -- thank you, too, for stating your disagreements with Jeff without resorting to the personal attacks and name-calling that way too many people mistake for reason.

Posted by: jcb at September 8, 2006 12:24 AM

Does the race boil down to Mr. Huff figuring the traditional Democratic votes will carry him through if he just lays low and keeps his history secret and Mr. Schwigen unable to overcome the Republican millstone around his neck?

At this point, I am another Democrat leaning towards Schwigen, but certainly agree with the suggestion I don't a good enough combination of facts and reliable informed opinion to make a good choice.

Too bad we don't have an institution that could do some digging and help us out here. We might even give it the once-honorable name of NEWSPAPER.

Posted by: Wondering at September 8, 2006 08:59 AM

EPA come out with your hands up.

Posted by: EPA at September 8, 2006 09:26 AM

It's obvious that there are a lot of people that are very interested in this election. There are a lot of strong opinions and emotions as well. I think it's ridiculous to assume that just because someone has OPINIONS or makes a statement about one candidate, must be exactly what the candidates thought process is too. "wondering", I doubt very much that any candidate, including Mr. Huff, is sitting back saying I don't need to campaign hard just because someone else thinks he will win. I, myself, am trying to figure out who to vote for because I do not vote strictly by party. I do believe we have to know certain things about a candidates personal life to get a good clue of who they truly are. There have been a lot of issues thrown out there about both candidates but I think Mr. Schwigen has had quite a few more serious allegations to answer to. I find it disturbing that most, if not all, are being ignored by the candidate. Mr. Schwigens camp keeps saying why isn't Huff answering this or that, and I am questioning the same thing about him. Just something that should be considered by all before Nov. 7.

Posted by: anonymous at September 8, 2006 09:37 AM

I agree that both Candidates should be given a forum to explain thier views and plans for the future of the Rock Island County Sheriff's Department. What are the changes they would make? How will they reduce the budget and improve services. How will they improve Community Policing, What programs will they initiate that will improve our quality of life. Lt. Schwigen has said from day one that he would like to have a debate with Sgt. Huff. I believe to this day Sgt. Huff has not accepted. I believe Sgt. Huff is being lead to believe that he does not need to do much other then place his signs out and he will win. Regardless of whether or not he has any plans at all for the future. Other then the TRIAD system, Which is possibly another campaign tactic to sway the senior vote as may have been his motive in sponsoring the benefit for the ill child.

Posted by: Democrat supporting a Republican. at September 8, 2006 10:42 AM

anonymous, I agree with you. These Schwigen people all want to know what Huff is going to do. Well, I think a lot of us want to know what Schwigen is going to do. He fails to answer this. Maybe he could gain some voters if he would say what he is going to do, instead of running Huff's name into the ground. Really Schwigen hasn't even done that, because all that is out there is smear talk. No PROOF has been given or shown. I think Schwigen would rather talk bad about Huff instead of telling us what he is going to do for the county. Don't you think?

Come on, people don't look kindly upon one candidate talking trash against another. Look what bad effect that had against Zinga. People didn't vote for her the last election because of the way she attacked Lane Evans. Yes it probably was time for Lane to step down, but she went about it the wrong way. Those kind of tactics rub people the wrong way.

Posted by: anonymous 2 at September 8, 2006 10:50 AM

Democrat supporting a republican, I can't believe that you are still throwing around the accusations about Huff helping a child and what motivations he had in doing so. The general public wouldn't even know Huff had anything to do with it if would have stopped mentioning it. It makes me sick that your Schwigen camp would exploit a child in the name of a few votes. What type of people are you? It seems obvious to me that when Huff has no signs, no mention of his campaign in any way, and LOSES money that he should have gotten from a fundraiser that there is no gain except to personally feel good that you were able to help in some small way. I'm guessing that all of the people that helped put that benefit together (and that was a lot) will feel that you are saying their efforts where just about Huff's campaign. How stupid are you? Anyone that helped put that benefit together had their heart in the right place. Kraig showing up to be seen by everyone and hand out some campaign cards does not make him a noble man. I didn't see him being any part of the committee that helped put it together or serving meals, doing raffles, getting donations, etc. Don't you think the parents of this child will read this? I think they have enough to worry about without some jerk out there trying to exploit their kid. I think we can all agree that if this is the type of person Kraig Schwigen attracts then we will be more than happy to let you become a republican supporting a republican. What an a**.

Posted by: anonymous at September 8, 2006 11:57 AM

Will Mr. Huff kindly tell us why he is so opposed to telling us why he won't debate Mr.Schwigen. I think this would satisfy most voters.Until we hear both sides of each candidate, we will hear/see nothing but mud slinging.I don't think this is too much to ask for.

Posted by: Citizen for better government at September 8, 2006 01:46 PM

Huff would debate schwigen in a heartbeat. Set up a neutral debate and send the protocol to Huff. When finalized the debate would be a slaughter of schwigen.

Posted by: Demi at September 8, 2006 04:56 PM

Cititzen, will you kindly tell us why you are so interested in Mr. Huff's file? Is it becuase you were part of the administration that put bogus crap in there and you know it? See the difference is, that Huff does not have to do any mud slinging because you have given people plenty to work with. Apparently the only thing you have to hold on to, is what's in a guy's file, when I have no doubt you could tell us yourself. I'm sure there are things in there that you find interesting, but the rest of us find it has no credibility since you were part of the trio targeting Mr. Huff. I'm guessing your file would be filled with stuff too if you had pi**ed Grchan off sooner. And the debate thing, I'm guessing Mr. Huff doesn't work around your schedule. Give it a rest and go retire!

Posted by: anonymous at September 8, 2006 05:12 PM

Why is it needed that Huff debate Schwigen? To make Schwigen look like a fool? That is not hard to do. Schwigen scares like a school girl. I've seen it. And he is not very intelligent. Besides, G.W. Bush was a business man. Look how the country turned out. JEEPERS!!!

Sorry Schwigen, you say party doesn't matter, your wrong. The Dems will stick togather. We have had enough pretenders around. We need the real deal. Vote Huff Nov. 7th.

Oh, Schwigen, are you a republican or a democrat? I know it seems like a silly question because your on the republican ticket, but I noticed that you voted demcrat for the last, oh, twenty years or so. Are you a trader? I know, you just wear what ever mask suites you at the time. This guy has some character issues. Not trust worthy. Not with my tax dollars.

Posted by: B.B. at September 8, 2006 05:37 PM

Kraig, put down the lighter your going to burn down another house with asbestos.

Posted by: Fire Fighter at September 8, 2006 09:56 PM

Why don't the two canidates just list their ideas on this forum and be done with it. Just so the public, the ones voting, know what guy wants to do what. If they are just going to Mudsling back and forth, than they might as well keep Grchan and Fisher in, two grown men can't even put something out for the public to view is crap and shows alot about both canidates. Huff this and Huff that, Schwigen this and Schwigen that, I want Sgt. Lee as Sheriff.

Posted by: dumbfounded at September 9, 2006 12:25 AM

If Huff is so good then why did Denny Jacobs donate to Grchan's campaign during the primary?

Posted by: Anonymous at September 9, 2006 07:00 AM

Saw Schwigen at the Andalusia function last night. He looked lost in HUFFland. Hasn't he gotten the picture yet?

Posted by: J.T. at September 10, 2006 09:16 AM

Tp anonymous September 8th at 11:57am. I was not the one who brought the fundraiser turned benefit up in the first place. It was one of the Huff supporters who used it to make Mike Huff out to be a saint. I mearly questioned Huffs motive in doing so. And as far as exploiting this child, In no way did I make any comments about the child or his family. I wish only the best for them. Did Huff exploit the child and the family, I believe he did or his supporters would not have brought it up on this forum. Also did I say anything about the individuals who helped set this Benefit up? I dont think so, I simply talked about Mike Huff and his campaign manager. As far as the last comment of your hatred filled Blog, I think that demostrates what type of person is Supporting Mike Huff. I think the truth hurts and that is why you resorted to name calling IE: (What are you stupid, Jerk and A**). Keep up the good work your a fine example of what we will get with MIke Huff.

Posted by: Democrat supporting a Republican. at September 10, 2006 09:31 AM

To Firefighter: Lets put this to rest. If you have some type of proof that the EPA is looking at Lt. Schwigen offer it up. If not, lay it to rest. But I believe that the proof is not there. I believe this may have something to do with you as a firefighter for a local department wanting to burn the house down for training purposes and being denied by Lt. Schwigen. The Denial was based i'm sure on liability purposes not because he didn't want to.

Posted by: Democrat supporting a Republican. at September 10, 2006 09:38 AM

To Dem. supporting repub., I believe how the whole benefit thing was brought up was someone asking about Schwigen campaigning at the benefit and someone questioning why there was no response from Schwigen about it. Then "wife of a deputy" making Schwigen seem like a "saint" for attending. After that, someone who attended the benefit wanted to tell a more detailed version about how the benefit was formed. This person also states they are not a part of Huff's campaign. I'm sure it's a matter of this person wanting to make sure Schwigen isn't trying to take credit for something he had no part of. As far as the comment you make about Huff's motives in helping this family posted here: (To anonymous: Let me see, If I am running for an elected position and I have a fundraiser planned and my campaign manager says " hey, lets change this to a benefit for an ill child we can act like we really care and all the people that come will love you". It is quite clear that his campaign tactic worked on you and how many other people. Had the timing been different and you told me this happened several years ago when there was no campaign going on, and Mike came up with this on his own to hold a fundraiser I would have patted Mike Huff on the back and commended him for being a stand up guy. But when it happen's during an election it makes me wonder his motive.) That was a completely moronic thing to say. I'm sure this child will apologize for not havng a more convenient time to get sick. As far as the things I said, I call em how I see em. I think a lot of people will agree. This post of yours more than proves my point. As far as the truth goes, Mr. Huff made a completely unselfish and admirable gesture for this family when they were in need of help, and you are trying to turn it into something otherwise.

Posted by: anonymous at September 10, 2006 07:27 PM

Wife of a deputy, no one said that Schwigen was campaigning at a funeral of a Moline officer, rather at a memorial for fallen officers. Two completely different things. You may want to read posts accurately before laying into someone for something they didn't say all because you can't read. I again make the other persons point, why hasn't Mr. Schwigen responded to campaigning at such events? Is that how much he values something that should be like a sacred brotherhood event to him?

Posted by: p.g. at September 10, 2006 07:47 PM

Anonymous, I didn't say a thing about the timing of this child getting sick. I said if the timing would have been different and it would have been any sick child that Mike Huff volunteered to have a benefit for I would pat him on the back and commended him for being a stand up guy. Is this child the only child sick in the Quad Cities. Did Mike Huff head up any other benefit's? Has he ever in his life volunteered to hold a benefit for some other noble cause? If the answer is no, then I still question his timing on volunteering to be so completely unselfish and admirable. And once again you resulted to calling names, keep showing your true colors for Mike.

Posted by: Democrat supporting a Republican. at September 10, 2006 10:33 PM

JT, I would have to guess that event you are talking about would have to be the fish fry. I suppose after seeing Mike Huff and his awsome physical condition at the parade I would agree that a fish fry would be HUFFLand but then again so would McDonalds, BurgerKing, Wendy's and any other buffet in town. Mike had the theme song from cops playing in the parade from Cops: Bad boys, Bad boys watcha gonna do, watcha gonna do when they come for you. I think the only bad guy Huff might be able to catch would be the Hamburgular or maybe Twinky the Kid. I think he's already caught them several times. Hey Mike Subway, Eat Fresh.

Posted by: Democrat supporting a Republican. at September 10, 2006 11:11 PM

Democrat, your last post sounds real mature. I suppose if that is all Schwigen has to build a campaign on is his physical condition he'd better use it. Lord knows there's not much else to brag about. I guess that's why Schwigen was yelling to the people walking with Mr. Huff in the parade about having any type of race with him. Schwigen was requesting a foot race, an arm wrestling match and even a thumb wrestling match. Has he finally come to his senses and realized that he won't win this election and those are the only competitions he has a hope with?

Posted by: T. L. at September 11, 2006 11:50 AM

There will be a fundraiser for Democratic Candidate for Sheriff Mikr Huff on Friday September 15th from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm at The Andalusia Lion's Club 302 West 2nd Street Andalusia. For more information go to www.votehuff.com

Posted by: DemVoter at September 11, 2006 09:58 PM

Mr. Schwigen, what is exactly your education and or qualifications for the job?

Also, what are your plans for the department?

Posted by: Want to know at September 12, 2006 10:00 AM

Anyone seeking answers to any questions should attend the meet the candidate night at the Andalusia Lions Club on Friday the 15th of September from 5pm to 8pm.

Here is your chance people. Talk to the man.

Posted by: VoteHuff at September 12, 2006 10:08 AM

To the person that posted the last one, exactly my thought. I guess all of these people asking questions have no excuse now if they truly want answers to there ?'s.

Posted by: anon at September 12, 2006 01:47 PM

Why should I have to go to a fundraiser to find out a candidates adgenda. These questions should be answered either through the media, debates or any other form of PUBLIC forum, not at a fundraiser.

Posted by: who's the better candiate at September 15, 2006 12:23 PM

Was there a good reason Huff pulled his weapon on two deputies, back in the day? Are there more instances like that in the file? Unless that file is made public, I will vote ... gulp ... Republican. Please don't make me do that Mr. Huff, release the file.

Posted by: Anonymous? at September 15, 2006 01:43 PM

Come on guys. It's obvious that the Schwagen campaign is gulping for air in bringing up something that happened 20 years ago. Gosh I was a babe in diapers then and what difference does it make now. No wonder the Republican party in Rock Island County is always the underdogs if they can't even get a respectable candidate to run for the important office of Sheriff. If all they can do is mud-sling why bother to waste the Republican party's money. Well maybe the candidate is funding his own campaign with money from where????? I don't see the Schwagen campaign having fund raisers - maybe they know no one will come!!!!!!!! Let's look to the inside of the Sheriff's Dept and see who's being supported by those "in the know." The parking lot is full of Huff Stickers and that should tell us something.

Posted by: Having to choose at September 16, 2006 11:22 AM

Contrary to what is being said, not everyone at the sheriffs department is supporting Mr. Huff

Posted by: Anonymous at September 16, 2006 11:42 AM

Having to choose, the deputies I've talked to have off the record indicated Schwigen is the better choice. Talk to the two different deputies Huff has pulled a gun on, ask their opinion. Why are there Huff stickers in the parking lot? I, for one, don't know if there are just because you claim it. However, if there are Huff stickers, maybe it's because he's the Democratic candidate and they know RICO has been a heavily Democratic county, so the odds are in Huff's favor. Knowing that, they don't want to face retribution.

Posted by: Anonymous? at September 16, 2006 11:46 AM

I find it hard to believe that a police officer, who has probably delt with gun violence several time in his career could honestly expect the public accept his excuse for drawing his weapon on a fellow officer as mere horseplay.

With all the violence that is occuring in our own neighborhoods on a daily basis I am trying to figure out what kind of message this with send to the young people that Mr. Huff swears that he will protect is from

Posted by: anonymous at September 16, 2006 01:34 PM

anonymous 11:42, no, not all members of the dept support Huff because there are plenty of them that know their days of having the gravy jobs and weekends and holidays off are over. Some of these guys that have never seen the road are worried they might actually have to go out and earn their promotions now instead of by doing favors for Grchan, Fisher and Schwigen. Get a clue people, Grchan supports Schwigen and we don't want him or his kind in there again. The only people that support Schwigen are the butt kissers that no one respects.

Posted by: anonymous at September 16, 2006 03:17 PM

Will you people get off your high horse. Anonymous 1:34pm, are you trying to tell me that there isn't something that you did twenty plus years ago that was wrong and you think it's ok for people to still hold it against you. The guy was a young officer that made a mistake in judgement. It would be different if it were, let's say 1 month ago. It's obvious that Schwigen is trying to divert the attention away from himself and all of the recent wrong doings he's done. For example, Aug. 23 when he was doing campaign stuff at work using dept. equiptment to boot. The paper seems to think that it isn't a big deal because Grchan says so. Do I need to remind you that Grchan was caught lying under oath. This is a clear violation of the law and ethics violation as well. This is not made up. It's actually a law that Schwigen broke in the last month. This is a clear example of Schwigen saying "hey look over there" while he runs the other way. I'm guessing Gov. George Ryan could fill Schwigen in on why these sort of things are so serious.

Posted by: anonymous at September 16, 2006 03:45 PM

Six weaks until you lose Schwigen. Can you handle it. Maybe Grchan can take care of outside of the job too. Because he won't be able to at work anymore. Sorry bud.

Posted by: Bryan at September 16, 2006 04:18 PM

Is that a type o? Is the republican really making a big deal about something over two decades ago? If it happened once or twice, and it was common place, why would this confusion over once or twice mean anything? I don't know how cops used to horseplay, but come on newspaper it was over 20 years ago. Everyone agrees about that. I can’t remember most things from half that long ago. Do you? How much was gas then? Is it a slow news day? Is there any news available from this century? I would like to know how recent this use of MY tax-supported equipment took place and was that S. guy working? Grchan has that place screwed up. He is not very honest! I drove by the county last Sunday and saw numerous Huff stickers on vehicles. Schwegen must be the only one shaking over something from 20 some years ago. I like how no one even knows when it exactly happened it was so long ago. Grchan says he remembered something back then but can't remember to lock his car or garage NOW. What ever!!!

Posted by: Passing candidate at September 16, 2006 05:00 PM

Grchan is behind this all the way. He is still mad that Huff beat him out and now he is doing whatever he can to try and screw him over. At least Mr. Huff admitted to these accusations. He's not denying any of it. Everybody has done something stupid in their lifetime and Mr. Huff isn't hiding from it. Makes you wonder what Mr. Schwigen has done in his past. All I know is whoever wins is still better than Grchan!!!!

Posted by: Boo hoo at September 16, 2006 05:06 PM

I don't care how long ago Huff pulled a gun on a fellow police officer. The point is he pulled the gun on a fellow police officer. Is that the best you could come up with!!! It's cowboyish and it was acceptable practice!!! Im sorry Huff thats B.S. just like your campaign slogan about being a long serving union member. You haven't been to a union meeting since you were elected in the primary. Who wants a loose cannon like Huff for Sheriff. Don't believe that all the deputies support Huff because thats a bunch of B.S as well.

Posted by: Anonymous at September 17, 2006 10:08 AM

I have been a police officer for over twenty five years in the quad cities and can tell you, that I have never pointed my weapon at another officer. I surely don't buy the excuse that Mike Huff gives, "it was common back then and we were all cowboyish." That's the biggest line of bull I've ever heard. In every police department, if you pull your weapon out and point it at someone it is considered a deadly force situation. Meaning you fear for your life or the life of another. But according to Mike Huff it's considered horseplay and cowboyish. One rule that is always taught on any range is, Never point your gun at something you don't intend to distroy. also to the person named "having to choose." Are you kidding me? what difference does it make now? It makes a huge difference. Huff made a choice 20 years ago to pull his gun on another officer. He claims it was horseplay and he was goofing off. He claims in the paper to have been preparing for an administrative position his whole adult life. When did his adult life start? before or after he pulled his gun on two deputies? Has it even started yet? If you really support Mike Huff then you may as well put the fox in charge of the hen house.

Posted by: anonymous police officer at September 17, 2006 04:47 PM

if mike huff pulled his gun because someone took his little pen, he should have fired as a police officer immediately. no questoins asked; you take your gun out for one reason, and one reason only- to use it. huff is going to be a joke as sheriff... an absolute joke. way to go John G, you have so many terrible candidates and office holders in RICO under our banner, soon our banner will be torn down.

Posted by: democrat at September 17, 2006 05:06 PM

Maybe there are so many Huff stickers because he is making promises to all these guys. Maybe we should ask George Picket who is Huff's right hand man what he's been promised. Or maybe we should ask Jeff Stulir what he's been promised. If you see them ask them, but I bet we know what they will tell you. I think if you read the article about Mike Huff he makes reference to making the jail administrator position a civilian position. I wonder why? could it be that the current deputy that is the jail administrator was one of the officers Huff pulled a gun on? Maybe George Picket has been promised that position? If you go to the Illinois Election website and check the contributions Pickett made a $1500.00 donation to Huff's campaign fund in March.

Posted by: Anonymous at September 17, 2006 05:15 PM

I would give all my life savings to not have someone who is worse than grchan be sheriff.

Posted by: George at September 17, 2006 08:23 PM

For insight into the REAL police world, read “The Choir Boys” by Joseph Wambaugh.

Posted by: Po po at September 17, 2006 09:22 PM

A reviewer, 02/28/2000
politically incorrect for today...a must read for every cop
The ironic thing is that while this book was written about the LAPD in the 70's, not much has changed in the last 30 years, except for the political correctness people try to cram down each others throats. In certain instances, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Cops who have never read this book will marvel at the accuracy of the characters and how each person can be found in some degree in their station. This is the ultimate explanation of when 'old timer' cops speak of the 'good old days'. Wambaugh obviously knew his subjects well. The character examinations are all too real. Funny, hilarious, sad, and tragic, it is difficult to put down. If you are a cop, you will scrutinize your job, administration, and your role in society a little more closely after reading this book.

Posted by: Informed at September 17, 2006 09:38 PM

Wambaugh's best book, April 20 2002
Reviewer: A customer
When The Choirboys was published almost thirty years ago, I was a young Marine thinking of becoming a police officer. I read Wambaugh's fiction back then because it provided a unique combination of humor and truth about police work. Or at least it seemed as if it might be the truth - Wambaugh had been a cop and I hadn't. And of all his fiction, Choirboys was by far the funniest... and at the same time, its story the most tragic and bittersweet.
Now I'm an old cop in a big metro area, looking towards retirement. Every couple years, I read Choirboys again. It amazes me and overwhelms me to find that it rings more true with every reading. The more I see of police work and of life, the more I realize how much humor and truth Wambaugh really was able to put into this book. It's all there: the amazing things that happen in life, some horrible, some hilarious. The camraderie, kidding, and practical jokes that cops constantly use to keep their perspective. The way Wambaugh's cops don't always like each other, but they always look out for each other. The supervisors and administrators - some good, far too many bad. It's the truest book I've ever read and gets better every time I read it. I've given away a lot of copies of this one.

I'm not sure, but I believe Choirboys was written at about the time that Wambaugh was leaving police work to devote all his time to writing. The book is definitely written from the perspective of someone who is willing to burn some bridges. It is unflinchingly realistic regarding the careerism and hypocrisy that Wambaugh saw in many police supervisors and administrators, and in the politics of the department itself. But Wambaugh never preaches, he satirizes, and he makes his reader laugh out loud again and again.

The bottom line is - this is the best cop book I know of. I hope you'll think so too, and I'm willing to bet that you do.

Posted by: Amazon book review at September 17, 2006 09:51 PM

jcb this pulling the gun thing deserves its own post....

Posted by: Anonymous at September 17, 2006 10:52 PM

anonymous 10:52, do you not have anything else to concern yourself with? This was nearly a quarter century ago. This has nothing to do with the Sheriff's election in 2006, you are simply falling into the garbage trap of negative campaigning Schwigen was hoping for. He's simply trying to divert attention away from all of the crap he's done within the last few years or more. Most of us get it, but I guess a few are suckers for this junk. I for one, refuse to be Schwigen's puppet.

Posted by: anonymous at September 18, 2006 12:52 AM

anonymous police officer 4:47-Your last line has already been used to describe Schwigen and doesn't come close to appying to Huff. In 25 years what mistakes have you made that are OK to throw in your face today? Sounds like it's time to sit in the rocking chair and retire old man. Perhaps Schwigen will follow his first plan and retire with you, then you both can sit back and talk about all of the police officers he's screwed over for his own benefit. Seems to me that Schwigen ought to be more scared of the long line of people he's made enemies of this decade.

Posted by: anonymous at September 18, 2006 01:00 AM

About the comments of positions being promised to people around the huff campaign. This is false, all of us got involved to get Grchan out. We done that in the primary. Know we are sticking with Mike through the rest of the campaign.

About George Pickett donating $1500.00 to the campaign. He did this because he hated Grchan so bad, he cleared out his bank account to help Huff out.

All of the rumors that are floating around about things being promised are rumors not facts.

The only thing he has promised us that work on the campaign is, we will have fair working coditions while he is sheriff.

It hasn't been fair for 16 years and Schwigen was part of that.

Posted by: Jeff Stulir (Correctional Officer) at September 18, 2006 09:34 AM

If I was Jeff Stulir I would quit beating a dead horse (Grchan) unless you enjoy primary politics. Face facts, Huff's victory was fluke. he was down by more than 20 points six days before the anti-incumbent tide swept trhought the election process. With all Huff's background problems (pulling guns, and not taking care of hius personal property) you might want to make friends, not alienate others.

Please tell us how Huff is going to make the Department fair? Do you really think he is going to turn the Deparment over to the union? Advise.

Posted by: Ms.Merrit at September 18, 2006 10:30 AM

Why don't you also ask Rusty, from Rusty's Towing, if he will get the County Towing contract. I have a strong feeling that he will get the towing contract if Huff is elected. I like Rusty, but if your already making promises Huff, just to get elected, that is wrong.

Posted by: county employee at September 18, 2006 11:35 AM

To anonymous September 18 0100am. I would have to say you're becoming pretty defensive over this. I suppose I probably have made a few mistakes in my career. The difference is I'm not running for Sheriff and trying to make the public seem like I am Mr. Perfect. To Jeff Stulir I thank you for your help in describing George Pickett. Thats all he had in his bank account was $1500.00? George was a police officer for another local department at one time. He got mad there because it wasn't fair and quit. He then tried his hand at a tavern venture if I remember right and he failed there to. Then it was on to a private investigation business and that went belly up to. He was able to get himself hired as a correctional officer when he was how old, I would have to guess in his 50's trying to secure some sort of pension and now see's a chance at finding a golden egg in mother goose Huff. I can see why George is supporting Huff. WOW did George spend that much money at the downtown bars, no wonder they are doing so well. Jeff I don't know you personally so I don't know your motive for supporting Huff, But I have heard a few things about you and still beleive that there are probably some promises floating around in your corner. If they are all rumors, prove it by not accepting any new position that Mike Huff offers you if he is elected.

Posted by: anonymous police officer at September 18, 2006 02:20 PM

Anonymous police officer 2:20- Do you honestly think that Schwigen hasn't made promises to certain people? I know Fisher went to Schwigen's fundraiser and has been puckering up big time because he wants to stay on the dept. Schwigen said he will appoint an Under Sheriff, I'm guessing that would be Fisher. With Schwigen we would have more of the same administration and all of the same problems. It's time for the people of RI County to turn things around. The only way that will happen is by electing Mike Huff.

Posted by: anonymous at September 18, 2006 03:31 PM

Oolice Officer,

I think you are asking Mr. Stulir to do something he should not. Mr. Stulir took a huge risk pushing Huff over the former Sherrif. He should be rewarded for his work, as should you or anyone else, But what he should not do is become part of the deabte, which he is now doing. I really do not understand what Mr. Stulir is trying to do. If he's trying to hurt Huff, he is successeding.

Posted by: Ms.Merrit at September 18, 2006 03:42 PM

I have know Mike for over 20 years and I truly believe he is the best candidate for the job of sheriff. I have also been in the law enforcement profession for over 16 yrs so I also know Schwigen. If anyone has any questions go to his web site @votehuff.com and plan on attending one of his fundraisers.

Posted by: vote huff at September 18, 2006 05:05 PM

Ms. Merritt,

It looks like you are part of this debate, but you are under a false name. When people put comments in under a false name, I consider them to be null and void. Stand up and speak your peace under your real name. It doesn't matter what we right, but on November 7 will make the best comment. HUFF VICTORY !!!

Posted by: Jeff Stulir (Correctional Officer) at September 18, 2006 09:23 PM

Oh really Jeff, please learn how to spell before you get your new administration job when Huff becomes Sheriff. I am glad that you have sucked up to Huff that much over the years, especially since Huff cares so much for the ASFCME Union and not really the FOP anymore. I think that Huff supports the correctional officers more than the deputies.

Posted by: flip side at September 18, 2006 10:23 PM

WQAD news poll shows that slinging 24-year-old mud is not fruitful. Sensationalism is still better than substance to this rouge station. There question: “If the election was held today, who would you choose as Rock Island County Sheriff?” Mike Huff 73%, Kraig Schwigen 24%.

Posted by: Anti-mud voter at September 18, 2006 10:31 PM

Wqad didn't reveal their poll because it did't support their story.

Posted by: Anonymous at September 18, 2006 10:40 PM

Schwigen couldn't even look up into the camera in his interview, do you know that's a tell tale sign someone is lying? If you can't look me in the face (or camera) when you're telling me something, I won't believe you. Is Schwigen trying to put the fear of God in us by saying we have some Bin Laden like character among us? He may as well be. The rest of his non-sense is just as ridiculous. Hey Huff, I think your job is done with campaign work, just let Schwigen keep making a complete idiot of himself in the media, it's working wonders for your campaign. Go Huff!

Posted by: anonymous at September 18, 2006 11:11 PM

I don't have a dog in this race for sheriff, but after listening to both sides of this race and both candidates I'm beginning to think more and more that a third-party, independent candidate not marred by the internal office politics of the past would make a good candidate.

There are real issues out there. We need a professional in that office.

Posted by: grillmaster deluxe II at September 18, 2006 11:34 PM

After reading both articles about the sheriff’s race I am appalled. Clearly Schwigen is too scared to do his job, so he sits at the sheriff’s department and works on his campaign, with Grchan’s approval. Now he blames the internet for going to the wrong page and making him print it. Liar, liar, liar. When does his 364-day sentence begin? To Mr. Huff. I am sure it wasn’t easy to talk about the mistake you made. Have heart. If your mistake was 20 years ago and your opponent crime was this, year the voter will get it right. It appears Schwigen slung mud and Huff responded. I would have too.

Posted by: Renold's voter at September 19, 2006 08:34 AM

Does schwigen have a soundproof basement to hide in for Halloween? Someone might say “boo” and frighten him. He’s the “coward of the county.”

Posted by: Brave woman at September 19, 2006 11:39 AM

Does the Dispatch read their own stories? Mike referred the 10-16 to State.

Posted by: ISPT at September 19, 2006 12:43 PM

Mike Huff was targeted by Grchan for years. He was fired unjustly, using a domestic dispute involving a sheriff's dept. employee that was handled by Mr. Huff CORRECTLY. The investigation was turned over to the Illinois State Police, as is the correct protocol. He was fired over doing so, and the courts recognized that he was targeted unfairly by Grchan's administration, and reinstated. Grchan was also ordered to pay Mr. Huff back all his back pay over this grossly obvious witch hunt. This witch hunt cost the tax payers of Rock Island County hundreds of thousands of dollars. Grchan and his cronies, including Schwigen, also retaliated against deputies that refused to participate in their little witch hunt. Schwigen bringing this up when it's already been dealt with and Huff vindicated, proves that Schwigen will be continuing with his witch hunts and costing the tax payers alot more money. Now, we have Schwigen bringing up things that happended two decades ago, and trying to scare votes away from Huff. Schwigen needs to know that the only "scared" one is himself, by his own admission. Go hide your scared little weasel face somewhere else. As you stated on your ridiculous little press conference last night, the people of Rock Island County are not "sheep". They want a REAL change at the sheriff's dept., and Mr. Schwigen would not be a change at all. We're tired of Schwigen making our dept. look like a joke. Vote Mike Huff for Sheriff.

Posted by: Just me at September 19, 2006 01:32 PM

Thanks to the Huff machine here to convince me to vote for Schwigen. The name calling, mud slung his way is really sickening. There's no way I will vote for Huff.

Posted by: Thanks at September 19, 2006 02:33 PM

Schwegen says he hasn’t been contacted by the EPA. I bet their “search engine” went to the wrong address.

Posted by: Truthful at September 19, 2006 04:43 PM

To Thanks,

Sucks to be you bud.

Posted by: JT at September 19, 2006 05:38 PM

Posted by: Truthful at September 19, 2006 06:13 PM

Voters saw through Schwigen’s ruse. Slinging old mud doesn’t make up for a lack of credentials. 24 hour poll on ch. 8 showed Huff 79% to Schwigen 20%. Oppps.

Posted by: Anonymous at September 19, 2006 06:30 PM

To Thanks @ 2:33

The Mud Slinging began when Mr. Schwigen brought up an issue from 23 years ago. I have worked in a local correctional facility (not Rock Island County) and there was a fair amount of horseplay while I worked there. This was in the mid to late 80's and horseplay was very common occurance. By the way, no lives were harmed or lost during such horseplay. So, THANK your candidate for slinging the first mud.

Posted by: MHFS Supporter at September 19, 2006 07:59 PM

To Thanks:
You apparently don't watch the news or read the paper. Schwigen started the mud slinging. Open your eyes and ears before you post something else that is completely wrong. Vote Huff.

Posted by: Just me at September 19, 2006 10:55 PM

Re: the poll -- you're surely all aware that all online polls are extremely unscientific and
subject to manipulation by determined people -- and online political polls fall victim to it.
(Just calling all the friends and saying get on and vote is an effective low-tech method.)

Channel 8 doesn't even list total votes.

Anyway, interesting but no one ought to bet the house or the kid's college fund on it holding up.

Posted by: jcb at September 20, 2006 12:02 AM

The illegal fire took place on April 28, 2006 at about 10am. The fire department was contacted by schwegen to do the burn. He wanted it burned down by us. After months of no action, we were called out to the illegal fire on the same day the residence was to be used again by the sheriff’s department. The exact stage of the investigation is unknown. Maybe schwegen was trying to catch a runaway “search engine” and missed the call. Or maybe just like the search engine lie, he is lying again.

Posted by: CCFF at September 20, 2006 05:05 PM

What made the fire illegal??? Show some proof of this alleged investigation!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous at September 21, 2006 01:50 AM

what a waste of time people

Posted by: anonymous at September 21, 2006 11:11 AM

I say amen to 11:11am. The back and forth between the Huff and Schwiegen partisans has been interesting and informative up to now. But I'm wondering if no matter who wins, the Sheriff's Department will be so poisoned that we will be left with a dysfunctional Sheriff. It appears there is just too much bad blood for the department to function.

The sheriff's Department is too important to let this happen. For those of us who live in rural North Boonieville (and other outlying areas) and have no other police presence but the Sheriff's Dept., this is frankly scarey. I have been thinking about exercising my Second Amendment rights every since we had multiple home invasions and breakins last spring. Now may be the time to take the law into our own hands, since it doesn't appears the Sheriff will be able to handle anything but infighting, no matter who wins in November.

Very sad.

Posted by: paladin at September 21, 2006 02:17 PM

For those of you who want to find out if schwigen is indeed scared. Program your scanner to 159.150 megahertz and listen for RI 8 between 11:30pm and 7:30am.

Posted by: Radio tech at September 22, 2006 12:29 AM

To all the bloggers in the Schwigen vs. Huff II debate, what has been achieved? We hear an Schwigen supporters views on his candidate, than we read a rebuttal from one of Huff’s supporters. We, than read a comment from a Huff supporter followed by a rebuttal from an Schwigen supporter. The majority of the comments are beliefs of the person writing the blog. In many cases the subject matters is erroneous and is totally the belief of the blogger. Nothing can be substantiated or even resembles the truth. I think anyone of us can voice our opinions, but it’s not necessarily the view of the candidate. Let’s cut to the chase and let the candidates give us their views and answers to our questions. All that is required is for the candidates to set up 2-3 debates, where they face off with a moderator and several panel members who would question each candidate. The candidates as well as the moderator and panel members can determine the location. The position of Rock Island County Sheriff is too important, not knowing their position or their beliefs and answers on how they intend to run the Sheriffs department. I think that the majority of the Rock Island County residence want the most competent and qualified person to be the next Sheriff.

Posted by: Citizen for better government at September 22, 2006 11:48 AM

To JT and MHFS ... JT, actually, it does suck to be me and many of the voters in Rock Island County that these are the only two choices we have for Sherriff. I'm not pro Schwigen, and don't know either candidate. The information I've gotten is from people in the county government and law enforcement community that I know and trust. No high level people, just ordinary Joes. MHFS, I'm glad no one got hurt during the "horseplay", but to me, that is a very aggregious offense and I don't care if it happened 50 years ago. It wasn't horseplay, no matter how you try to dress it up today, and is, to me a reflection of a man's character.

Posted by: Thanks at September 22, 2006 02:51 PM

Agree on that Citizen.

Posted by: County at September 22, 2006 03:01 PM

To citizen:
I agree with you 100% about the debate. I think they both have been invited to the MLK center for a debate on Oct. 9th. I've also heard that both were invited to the deputies union meeting to speak about what they had planned for the department. I guess Huff declined by sending a letter to them saying he declined to come and speak to them. In Huff's defense there was a democratic event on the same night, but the letter was sent before that event was planned. ??Thought Huff was a union guy????????????

Posted by: Anonymous at September 23, 2006 01:00 AM

To THANKS:
Your original post was concerning mudslinging, the Republican candidate brought up a non disciplined issue from 23 years ago during a D/A editorial board interview, what does that tell you about the republican candidates character?

Your Original Post: Thanks to the Huff machine here to convince me to vote for Schwigen. The name calling, mud slung his way is really sickening. There's no way I will vote for Huff

People are entitled to their own opinions, looks like quite a few people have expressed and explained their reasons to have issue with the Republican candidate.

Vote Huff

Posted by: MHFS as well at September 23, 2006 08:54 AM

If Huff is the longest running union rep why does he not attend any meetings. Why did he say he does not need the FOP to win the election.

Posted by: Anonymous at September 23, 2006 06:01 PM

Huff would have attended the FOP meeting but had a prior engagement lined up and could not cancel it.

Posted by: anonymous at September 24, 2006 11:53 PM

Huff has not been to a meeting since he won the primary, so feed your line to somebody else

Posted by: Anonymous at September 25, 2006 12:20 PM

Don't be a crybaby sissy anonymous 12:20. Grow up and be an adult. Don't act like Schwigen.

Posted by: Anonymous at September 25, 2006 04:28 PM

Let me guess 4:28, Huff has made a promise to you to if he gets elected. Huff will probably win, but he will always be a liar and a loser in my book

Posted by: Anonymous at September 26, 2006 12:59 AM

anonymous 12:59, Huff has not made promises to ANYONE. Did the two Fisher's get a promise from Schwigen when they attended his fundraiser? You must be thinking of Schwigen when you call someone a loser and a liar. He's the only one that fits that mold.

Posted by: L.W. at September 26, 2006 12:16 PM

Yesterday I got a fundraising invitations from Mike Huff in the mail. It was all about "Labor supporting Labor," but I noticed like Phil Hare, this mail piece had no union bug on it at all. I thought Huff and Hare were pro-labor? Why do you think these so-called labor Democrats are using non-union printers to print invitationa? Does this seem wrong to anyone else?

Why is it okay for Huff and Hare to not use union labor? Please explain?

The fundraising letter from Huff claims he is "Endorsed by the Quad City Federation of Labor AFL/CIO," but why he didn't bother to use union people to print his invitation?. What gives Huff and Hare?

Posted by: Hardtounderstand at September 27, 2006 11:00 AM

Mike Huff for Sheriff Committee is having a fundraiser September 30, 2006 from 5pm to 8pm at the Rapids City Community Center, 1204 4th Ave., Rapids City, Illinois. The chili supper will be $6 individual, $10 couple and $15 family. There will be raffles and a 50/50 drawing. Come meet your democratic nominee for Rock Island County Sheriff. For more info. go to votehuff.com or call (309)792-9583.

Posted by: Huff for Sheriff at September 27, 2006 09:54 PM

It's been said quite plainly by some Huff supporters that Huff's intentions are to fire or demote some of the ranking Officers within the department(jail). I have to wonder on what basis would/could he do this and why? I wonder if this is really Huff's intention? I'm not sure how or where "integrity" falls into this. Perhaps it isn't Huff's intention, maybe it is the agenda of some of his supporters.

Posted by: Get it over with at September 28, 2006 03:08 AM

Hardtounderstand, Did you ever think about the fact that campaigns are very expensive and the candidate may be trying to make his dollar stretch as far as he can? If people want to complain about how things are printed etc., maybe you should go to the fundraiser and donate money so that you then have a right to complain. Maybe you should instead think, this candidate is being very resourceful with the money they have instead of spending wastefully. How much money have you donated to Hare's or Huff's campaign that gives you the right to be concerned about it? My guess, $0.

Posted by: anonymous at September 28, 2006 08:13 AM

Get it over with, No matter who would become the next sheriff, there would be some realigning. That is, unless Schwigen plans on keeping the same admin. What would be the point to elect a new sheriff and have things remain the same? I thought the point of this election was to improve the dept and operations and working relations. I don't see that even coming close to happening with Schwigen since he's part of the retalitory, personal agenda seeking admin. It's more than clear that people in the top ranks in the Grchan admin. need to go to improve the operations of the dept. I'm guessing they had to know that their free ride would have to come to an end.

Posted by: anonymous at September 28, 2006 08:44 AM

Has anyone looked up in the pre '98 archives on QConline.com under Schwigen on Oct. 1, 1997 about the 1.5 million dollar lawsuit he had in 1997? It's an interesting read and I would suggest that people take a look. It gives you a clear idea of what type of guy Schwigen is. When you get to the paragraph that starts "Before the trial began" you get a clear vision of why he was forced to drop his portion of the lawsuit. Real nice guy to try to benefit for himself from his wife's untimely death.

Posted by: anonymous at September 30, 2006 12:00 AM

Who in this day does not sue anybody for something going wrong. So what is your point? Since Schwigen had a lawsuit and dropped his part, because his new marriage was going to get brought into it. Big deal. He did not have anything to do with his wife's death and he probably felt that his current wife did not need to deal with that garbage. So find a better point not to like Schwigen

Posted by: Anonymous at October 1, 2006 10:02 PM

So is there a site for Schwigen? I want to know his stance on things before deciding. I saw votehuff.com, but googled "Schwigen for Sheriff" and found nothing. ??

Posted by: Devin at October 2, 2006 09:58 AM

Both sides of this race have been going at it hot and heavy, but 9/30@12:00am hit a new low. 12:00, you disgust me. I have no idea what lawsuit you reference, but by your own admission it concerns Schwigen's "wife's untimely death". Have you no shame or sense of decency?

Dirty politics, innuendo and smears have become the hallmark of the local Democrat Party. Trust me when I say that your mention of Schwigen's deceased wife will win Huff no converts among independents and swing voters.

What I want to know is whether Huff "approved this message" or not. Let Huff speak up about bringing Schwigen's deceased wife into this political brawl.

Posted by: paladin at October 2, 2006 11:47 AM

Paladin,
This has nothing to do with Huff. I am a voter just like you that thinks the voters of RI County have a right to know about this guys past too. The Republican candidate, Schwigen felt the need to sling mud from more than two decades ago, why should his personal life over the last two decades not be looked at as well. Mr. Schwigens few supporters are quick to criticize Huff's supporters for having to respond to his negative campaign techniques. This is the path Schwigen chose to take. If he didn't want negative things to be brought up about him, he shouldn't have held press conference's to try and smear Mr. Huff. Just because Schwigen is trying to drag Huff into this circus doesn't make him the culprit, Huff is the victim in that situation. Huff has not had a negative press conference about Schwigen's life over the last two decades. Can Schwigen say the same? Nope! The person who should have shame and a sense of decency should be Schwigen. According to public record, Schwigen's current wife was going to be deposed in reference to his claim of loss of companionship and the timing of when their relationship began. (There's your clue) Three days later he dropped his portion of the lawsuit. This lawsuit is a matter of public record and you can read it yourself online by searching the courthouse records. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the doctor's lawyers were going to bring the timing of when Schwigen's and his new wife's relationship began up in court. Even Schwigen said in the article that he dropped his individual claim because of EVIDENCE about their relationship and he was worried the jury would look negatively upon it. Someone doesn't just suddenly drop a million dollar lawsuit for no reason unless you are trying to hide something. You are blaming the messenger, not the involved party. If you are not aware of the lawsuit, then that is why I mentioned it so that the people have a right to be informed.

Posted by: Anonymous9/30 at October 2, 2006 02:23 PM

Whatever, anon 9/30, I want Huff to either denounce this smear campaign or be tarred with it for his inaction.

I want Huff to say that his opponent's dead wife is fair game. Or not. This isn't about you 9/30, it's about what kind of man Huff is.

Let's see.

Posted by: paladin at October 2, 2006 04:13 PM

"Whatever" is the best paladin can come up with! I guess it's hard to argue against a court record. Seems to me that his deceased wife isn't the issue here, no one said he had anything to do with his wife's death. God rest that poor woman's soul. Schwigen's behavior before and after the event is the issue. Seems that we have a good idea what type of man Schwigen is. The guy who needs to denounce the negative campaigning is Schwigen since he's the only one that has gone that route. I guess Schwigen should have been prepared for someone to bring up his past if he wanted to go negative. Remember, Schwigen has made alot of enemies over the years and we're tired of him pretending he's never done wrong and we want him to open up his true file to the public not his sanitized one. He may think he can fool the general public with that but the people that work with him know better. I'm sure Huff has better things to do than to worry about what a few people on the blogs have to say. Sounds hypocritical of you paladin. Again, this has nothing to do with Huff, it's a matter of the people have a right to know and can look it up on public record. I am making it MY business to inform them, no one else. I don't think the women voters will think too highly of a guy who does what he has done. For that matter, no one with an ounce of decency would like it either whether male or female.

Posted by: Anonymous at October 2, 2006 09:14 PM

I think there's a HUGE difference between what a sherriff's deputy did while on duty and something that happened in a person's personal life. Again, thanks to the Huff campaign for making this an easy vote for me.

Posted by: Thanks at October 3, 2006 08:17 AM

Thanks:

You mean like running a campaign and using county resources to do it on duty? Your obviously biased post is simply laughable. You ignore what your candidate has done, and refuses to own up to it. Mike Huff will win this election as it should be. Schwigen doesn't need to be "scared" of anyone shooting him. He shot himself in the foot with his decision to go negative. Now he has to deal with the consequences. Gotta love it.

Posted by: Amused at October 3, 2006 09:54 AM

Amused, you can call me biased if you would like. I've gotten that way because of posters such as yourself. I don't care for Schwigen, but because of the stuff posted by some in this thread, there is absolutely no way I will vote for Huff.
I have no problem with people dealing with the consequences of his actions -- that is how it should be. However, that idea cuts both ways.

Posted by: Thanks at October 3, 2006 12:22 PM

I gather that Huff DID approve this message, since I don't see any evidence to the contrary.

But I do love the Double Standard Dems. Remember when Horndog Bill was wagging his finger at us swearing that he never had sex with that woman? All the Dems were hollaring for the rest of us to leave poor Bill alone, because, get this, "sex is a private matter." Yes, we were not to concern ourselves with what Bill was doing with his nether region. Har!Har! I guess a person's sex life is private if you're a Democrat. If you're not a Democrat, look out, your sex life fair game. Hilarious!

Posted by: paladin at October 3, 2006 02:10 PM

Thanks:

That's because of your double standard comment. You cite an incident on duty against one, but ignore the other? Especially one that happened during and involving this campaign, and not 23 years ago?

Paladin,

You also don't see any evidence that it was. Please point out where it says any post here was approved by EITHER candidate. What does Bill Clinton have to do with this? Did Bill Clinton file a million plus dollar lawsuit claiming loss of companionship while he was seeing Monica Lewinsky? And concerning "double standards" you need to read the response above to "Thanks". It's the pot calling the kettle black.

Posted by: Amused at October 3, 2006 03:54 PM

I agree with Thanks. I was riding the fence on this race, but when the Huff anonymice brought up the lawsuit concerning Schwigen's deceased wife, that really frosted my cookies!

I'm now squarely in the Schwigen camp and intend to send a message to all Democrats who indulge in these vile tactics.

Bill Clinton would approve my message!

Posted by: paladin at October 3, 2006 04:53 PM

Does anyone know the status of debates between the two candidates for Rock Island County Sheriff’s? The reason for asking, is that after reading all the blogs, we seem to think that if we attack Lt. Schwigen wife’s death, in a doctors office, that we will somehow know Sgt. Huff’s position on his candidacy. It’s clear as mud. Lt. Schwigen wife’s death was very tragic and there is positively no substance to the remarks reported in some of these blogs. It also should never have been brought into the campaign for any reason. When all else fails, honesty and common sense will prevail. Semantic versions of the truth truly distort the issues and demonstrate how some voters strive on dishonest reporting. I fully feel that both candidates should air all the issues and debates are a prerequisite of each candidate facing the voters. I inquired previously that Sgt. Huff’s records for the voters to see would be a good start, and that should include the records from the City of Silvis. Lets ignore the national election controversy and get the most qualified candidate for Rock Island County.

Posted by: Citizen for better government at October 4, 2006 10:41 AM

Do you think Huff has never used county resources or time to do a little campaining. It's hard not to, don't ya think? And I think leaving wives out of this would be a good idea for all.

Posted by: county employee at October 4, 2006 10:51 AM

Amused, you're right. If Schwigen used a copier on company time, that was wrong. I don't think it's of the level of what Huff did, but wrong indeed. Not that it makes it right, but I'm guessing there are a lot of deputies that use the copiers for personal use on company time. I'm not sure there are a lot of them that point their gun at other officers.
Both instances are wrong and you're right, Huff's was a long time ago. However, my opinion is "once a hot head, always a hot head." In fairness, maybe Schwigen has those same kinds of skeletons, but I haven't heard of those.
I will repeat ... I don't really want to vote for Schwigen. This whole campaign has really turned my stomach and make me wish NEITHER guy could win.

Posted by: Thanks at October 4, 2006 01:55 PM

I for one, am looking forward to the debate between the two candidates this coming Monday, 10/9 at the MLK Center in Rock Island that is being hosted by Churches United.

I hope both candidates are ready, willing and able to share their thoughts and ideas with the voters of Rock Island County.

The blogs have become "bogs".

The idea previously stated - "vote for the man, not for the party" still goes for me.

I want to hear what the two have to say. See you there on Monday!

Posted by: Concerned Citizen at October 5, 2006 11:03 PM

I've gone over and read a few things posted here, and just wanted to point out that some of you appear to be saying that posts regarding Mr. Schwigens deceased wife were brought up in a smear attempt. I don't think this was the intended reason, it was not about the deceased. It was about the lawsuit, and events surrounding it. You guys are twisting it around to make it look like an attack on her. That's not the case. Read it again, a little slower and you'll get it. That's all.

Posted by: Making a point at October 6, 2006 04:35 AM

I think "making a point" is probably mike huff or one of his followers who has realized that they hit a new low bringing up Lt. Schwigens deceased wife and is now trying to back track. I think this shows Huff and his supporters true colors. They make me sick.

Posted by: anonymous at October 6, 2006 10:05 AM

To "Making a point - 10/6/06 4:35 AM", I did as you suggested and read the court records regarding Mr. Schwigen and the premature death of his young wife.

I read that on 2/24/95 a complaint was file in circuit court over the death of his wife, Lisa. I continued reading and saw that after a litany of filings and motions that a trial by jury was commenced on 9/22/97 (by my calculation, this is a span of two years and seven months). A wrongful death claim was tried on behalf of Schwigen's two minor sons. The trial lasted six days with the closing arguments presented to the jury on 9/29/06.

The jury deliberated for appx. five hours (1:19 PM to 6:05 PM) and returned with a verdict finding for the plaintiff Schwigen on behalf of his two sons.

What did I miss in reading through the court information? What should we "get"?

From what is written, the gentleman's wife died, he asked the court to review his claim on behalf of his two sons and a jury of twelve of his peers found in his favor.

As stated in another posting, please help me / us understand what leads you to believe that there is more to the story.

Thank you.

Once again, please remember that the two candidates are scheduled for a debate Monday evening, 10/6/06 sponsored by Churches United.

Let's show up and hear things right from these two individuals. Have your questions ready in the event that the organizers will have time set aside for questions from the floor. See you there.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen at October 6, 2006 12:19 PM