« The abortion question | Main | Haring-Boland »

August 11, 2006

Life in the 17th?

Frequent commenter Robbie posted the following on an un-related, older discussion. Am adding it here in an attempt to find out if there's life in the Zinga-Hare race:

"A side note, though I dont know if anyone will notice since this post is kinda old now... I saw Phil Hare speak in person for the first time today on my lunch break. Though I am a staunch democrat and have no chance of voting for Zinga, I still feel like if he doesn't do a whole lot to impress me, I will simply undervote and skip him.

"With that said, I did feel like he had a lot of good things to say. He certainly has never seemed like the most polished guy, but as I sat and listened to him, he made sense. He talked about a lot of issues and gave his opinions fo how they should be handled. Certainly he didn't offer up complex solutions, but I felt he gave a good overview of each issue that was asked about.

"I really wish this race would get more attention. It was my impression that the race was going to be tight, so I just assumed there would be more info about it floating around. Though it is hard because of the above mentioned fact that neither have a website wirth a damn."

Posted by jcb at August 11, 2006 02:03 PM

Comments

So far this race has had all the excitement of a Cubs/Pirates game being played in Pittsburgh. Zilch-Nada-None!!!! Zinga is lackluster and playing ball in the opponent's home court. And Hare was an appointed candidate selected by party leadership instead of the voters. There is no excitement there, not that I think the parties want an voter awakening. My guess is that both parties are hoping to run silent and deep to avoid stirring up the party-sedated non-voters. Zinga is probably hoping enough party regulars are disgusted enough with the Hare selection that they won't show up or will vote against the stolen Primary. Hare is probably just relying on the strength in Democratic numbers to carry him to victory. If he tries to stir up too many voters he is liable to awaken the party-sedated non-voters and cost himself the election. This district is so ripe for an independent takeover with these two weak candidates. Too bad there wasn't anyone awake enough or with the chutzpah to challenge the two loser parties in this district. The people in this district are the real losers in this contest! The real winner will be status quo politics.

Posted by: NMP at August 11, 2006 10:36 PM

If this race gets any attention, the 17th District will be a bigger laughingstock than it has been with Lame Evans in control.

Question -
What could be worse than Lame Evans as Congressman?

Answer -
An open seat race with an unemployed newscaster and an office manager.

I believe that the undervote will be even greater than it was in 2004 - if people show up at all (as the Governors race likely will not pull out the vote either).

Posted by: Anonymous at August 11, 2006 11:34 PM

Undervoting Hare will only put Zinga in office. Don't get me wrong I don't think Zinga has much of a chance, expecially after hearing what was said at there first "debate." Phil is getting better at speaking in public. When he accepted the nod he was very nervous and shaky during his whole speech, but just recently at his UAW event he gave a very well presented speech. He is a rookie at this compared to a TV anchor, granted a failed TV anchor, but one none the less. PLus I don't think it is the best ideas to vote based on public speaking alone. Look at the issues before you write off Phil, I think he will do a good job for the 17th.

Posted by: Craig at August 12, 2006 01:18 AM

Robbie, for a Democrat you seem like you don't support your Democrats.
What exactly are you looking for. The seas to part when Hare speaks. He is just a man and either you believe in the ways of the Democratic party or you are a republican.
Unions
The small guy
Choice
Equality for all

Why are you a Democrat Robbie?
What makes you tick.
Enlighten us Robbie.

Posted by: Robbies concience at August 12, 2006 10:54 AM

It always nice when my 'concience' (sic) comes by to post some lively dialogue... Oh how I wish I could control that darn guy... I would post what makes me a democrat but it would take oh so long to write. Maybe someday I will get around to it, but I don't want to bore everyone with me. Afterall this blog isn't about me, though I wish it was :-P Anywho, the reason I don't automatically support a candidate is because it think it is silly to beleive that every democrat candidate is a good fit to my values and that every republican is a bad fit. My note for state senate in my district goes to an incumbent R every time. Does that make me a bad D? I don't think so, but maybe you do. I think that the R represents my district very well and I am not going to vote against him because of party alone.

Now I am certainly assuming the tongue and cheek nature of your post, but if your serious, ew'll have to have a little conversation 1-on-1 to discuss views. But assuming you are just being silly, I do expect Hare to part the seas, or at least the Mississippi. My vote cannot be bought, but it can be swayed by minor miracles such as massive water manipulation.

Posted by: Robbie at August 12, 2006 01:11 PM

STOP THE PRESS...

A newly commissioned poll shows Phil Hare and Mike Jacobs racking-up strong election numbers. Conversly, Mike Boland is reportedly facing a "difficult" re-election race.

The poll's results have local Republican's in a feeding frenzy. Rather than waste campaign resources on the Zinga race, Republicans are now stand ready to throw "everything they have" at Boland.

Statehouse veterans are not yet predicting Boland's demise, but they are warming up to the prospects of a Haring victory. All eyes in the Capitol are moving towards this key race.

When do you plan to review Boland's campaign report? How about Harings?

Posted by: KateNelson at August 12, 2006 01:37 PM

Can anyone tell me what Hare's schedule is concerning appearances? So far, it seems he has just been attending venues with groups who would vote for him even if he was a deaf-mute with a lobotomy. Not impressive.

I'd love to meet "Congressman" Hare and ask him some questions rather than "how much do you hate George Bush".

Anyone with this information, please post it here, as Hare's website is worthless to anyone except a frothing partisan. Hare's website is for rallying The Faithful to open their checkbooks and to volunteer their time.

That ain't me, babe.

Posted by: paladin at August 12, 2006 04:03 PM

Kate Nelson, what kind of crazy polls are you conducting around the dinner table. Is it yourself, husband, 2 kids, and little doggy Mike.

We already know you are a jacobs supporter.

Funny thing I heard was that Beals and Zinga received 2 of the 5 votes and the little dogs bark counted for a vote for hare/jacobs when you asked him to beg for a treat.

You wrote, "The poll shows that this is not only a difficult year for incumbents. but that Boland's "support for the hog plant" has seriously allientated a portion of his politcal base."

You mean to tell me that Mike Jacobs did not tank along with him, give me a break.

BEALS will be our next Senator.

Posted by: Anonymous at August 12, 2006 04:19 PM

Kate where is the poll data? Who conducted it?

Posted by: Craig at August 12, 2006 04:36 PM

Craig:

How can you pass judgement on someones career?

Zinga has been in journalism since right out of college (30 some years ago). Studied in England and got her masters in Journalism from the University of Illinois. She was at CNN and a various stations across the country, including the Quad Cities. Media is fluid and people move around. That's life. Not failuer.

Posted by: Anonymous at August 12, 2006 04:44 PM

Hey Kate, let's see a link to these "newly commissioned polls", so we can check out the internals and other factors. Polls can be rigged to show anything and everthing that the person "commissioning" the poll desires.

Color me skeptical Kate, but until you give us a link to said "newly commissioned polls", I'm gonna call bullsh*t on you.

You surely didn't think we were so stupid as to swallow your "polls" whole, without getting a chance to examine them, did you darlin'?

Show us the money! Put up, or shut up. Your choice.

Posted by: paladin at August 12, 2006 07:01 PM

Anon 04:19 PM -- it would be pretty strange if the hog plant stink was sticking to Boland and not to Jacobs as well.

Paladin -- Hare's website may not be much good to frothing partisans or anyone else. When it first went up, I signed up for the campaign updates. Haven't gotten one yet.

Zinga has a schedule on her site, though you have to look pretty hard for it - the home page "upcoming events" link goes to "issues" rather than the calendar.

I joined her email list, too. See what that brings.

Robbie -- Jeez, there you go, being reasonable again.

Posted by: jcb at August 12, 2006 10:47 PM

We seem to have a non-race, in one of (what could be/ should be) one of the more visible races in the Country.

Zinga has stated that Hare was the weakest candidate of the group vying for the nomination, yet she has done little, if anything, to show that she is anything but equally as weak.

I do not wish to judge either candidate, but they are making it extremely difficult to be anything but uninspired about this race.

With a Governors race that does not seem to be picking up any interest outside of Chicago and Springfield, is there any reason to believe that a record low turnout will be seen in November?

If so, does this favor one of the candidates?

Posted by: havinfun at August 14, 2006 10:04 AM

havinfun, you are exactly right... there seems to be no reason to get out to vote this fall. There's just nothing interesting going on. At least the QC seems to have a couple state races that draw a bit of local interest. Good ole Knox county has nothin goin for it...

Posted by: Robbie at August 14, 2006 11:08 AM

Not really sure what goes into my own logic here, but I don't think we'll see this race get any more exciting before the week after Labor Day--kids back to school, vacations mostly over. Seems like that would be a more effective time to get the word out about a campaign.

Posted by: Huck Finn at August 14, 2006 11:51 AM

Just wanted to inform everyone the Hare website is launched. There is a decent amount of material. Hopefully it will be developed and updated better than Zinga's.

Posted by: Robbie at August 14, 2006 01:20 PM

Here's the link to the re-furbished Hare site:

Posted by: jcb at August 14, 2006 01:54 PM

Am I missing something here? Sometimes I can't get my screen to reduce enough to get all the information on a website. Does Hare's website have his schedule of appearances on it?

Thus far it seems Hare has only appeared before invitation only events, or captive audiences on their lunch breaks. When will we proles get to talk to "Congressman" Hare?

I thought it was interesting that in a statement of less than 300 words, "Congressman" Hare invoked the name of Lane Evans four times. Think he's trying to tell us something?

I keep hoping RICO will get it's own Ned Lamont---someone who will break away from the cozy Democrat establishment of Gianulis/Evans/Hare/Jacobs and represent the people instead of the powerful.

Yikes! Gotta go. I'm late for my Donkey Aviation class.

Posted by: paladin at August 14, 2006 04:32 PM

So....the man that said Zinga was issueless when he took over the nomination has one issue posted on his website.

Sad.

Posted by: Observer at August 14, 2006 07:54 PM

Huck -- you're so right about things not picking up until after Labor Day.

In a better world, primary candidates would have filed about April 30 and the primary would be scheduled for first week of September.

Posted by: jcb at August 14, 2006 07:57 PM

Why would this be a better world if primary candidates would have filed about April 30 and the primary would be scheduled for first week of September. Would it be a better place for you or everyone. This is such a blanket statement and you act as if it is just a given. This would have been a disaster for Hare and very unfair if the election was in September. Look at all the good hare has done for the community over the years. He has been fighting for the Unions and the Veterans for years. He is a true leader and to handcuff him with a September election would be very unfair.

Posted by: Bob Leaver at August 14, 2006 09:29 PM

Paladin, I saw your comment about how Hare's site shows up on your screen. I have an educated guess (from my hit counter) that you're screen size is 640x480. Try changing your display settings to 800x600 or higher and it should fit just fine.

Posted by: Huck Finn at August 14, 2006 09:52 PM

Perhaps, Bob Leaver, a September primary -- or any primary -- would be a disaster for Hare, but it would hardly be for voters.

In any case, you make no sense when you mix Hare's worthiness for office with the election calendar. If voters adjudged him as favorably as you do, the date would hardly make a difference.

Posted by: jcb at August 14, 2006 10:00 PM

The people over at capital fax blog noticed that with certain browsers the Hare website chops the picture of him up and makes him look freaky. I tried some browsers myself and IE and Opera work fine, but Firefox and Netscape chop him up... All this money to a big D.C. firm to build a site and they can't even test it on other browsers...

Posted by: Robbie at August 15, 2006 10:10 PM

Robbie, Rich Miller gets results! Before, I was one of those who had Hare's photo chopped up. Today he's looking fine and dandy.

Never underestimate the power of the internet!

Posted by: paladin at August 16, 2006 01:06 PM

Phil may not be the Second Coming, Robbie, but he is gonna be a very solid Congressman. I find him an interesting mix of an old Humphrey Democrat and some of the insights and, yes, anger that the grassroots internet Dems tend to have. I have heard him 4 or 5 times and Thursday in Decatur was the best yet.

By the way, Paladin, when I heard him in Decatur it was at an open house forum at a public library, not in any sort of "canned" setting.

Posted by: Mike Wakeland at August 19, 2006 08:32 AM

Phil is actully having four or five public forums in the next few weeks. The quesiton now paladin is where is Zinga?

Posted by: Craig at August 19, 2006 04:51 PM

Craig -- you happen to know when/where hare forums will be? I can't find any event info on his site.

Zinga has just one upcoming event listed; others are all passed.

If anyone happens to be at an event by either, share your impressions, and a fact or two if you run across any of those.

BTW, what happened to all the talk about debates?

Posted by: jcb at August 19, 2006 08:35 PM

Well, yeah, it would be nice to know where these un-canned Hare appearances are. I'm not a Democrat, but I'm married to one, and we get plenty of information when the Democrats want us to open our checkbook, so why haven't we been notified in advance about all these places where Hare is showing himself? I stay on top of local politics and I've never seen a mention of a Hare venue until it was reported after the fact.

Zinga's website has a list of her appearances, a section on her positions, and a blog where readers can leave comments. So far her blog posts are pretty much "I'm for God, country, Mom and apple pie", but at least she allows feedback from voters. So yeah, Craig, we proles can find out where Zinga will be, why is Hare being so secretive about his appearances? Or is it true what I said about him just appearing before unions and other friendly crowds?

All Hare's website has is links that says "gimme yer money", "gimme yer time" and a statement that shrieks about Hare's connection to Lane!Lane!Lane!Lane! Jeez.

I would also be interested in reading reports from those who attend these (apparent) invitation-only Hare events. It would be nice to hear from some who attend who don't belong to the Zombie wing of the Democrat party. In other words, comments about what a "solid" congressman Hare will be and how "impressive" he is because he will "fight for working families" and bring back those fabbalus jobs we lost to Clinton's NAFTA, and how impressive he is on the stump and how he will slaughter Zinga in the debates, etc. will be seen for what they are----partisan bullsh*t. Some non-zombie comments about Hare would be appreciated by those of us who are obviously shut out of the "inclusive" Democrat Party.

Posted by: paladin at August 20, 2006 04:52 PM

I don't know how we're doing this "mailing list" thing among the candidates, but it's inconsistent and ineffective. I'm on some lists and not others, and I'm actually not on two of the lists where I've given donations (figure that!)

Seems that if I was running one of these campaigns, I'd go to the clerk's office and get a master list of those that voted in the last general election and work from that.

Or better yet, someone in Party HQ could get the info and build a a spreadsheet or database with that info and parse it to each candidate based on their districts.

As for my mailings, I'd be embarrassed if I ran a campaign and didn't have my contributors on the mailing lists. Woe be the campaign manager that has Huck Finn's name on his candidate's 30 Sep financial filing and not on his candidate's mailing list.

Posted by: Huck Finn at August 20, 2006 10:48 PM

the Hare website got new pictures over the weekend, that seems pretty exciting...

what needs to be on there to make it a better site? my assumptions would be more issues based material, a blog from the candidate that actually gets updated, and maybe a calendar so all you guys can know whats going on. other suggestions?

Posted by: Robbie at August 21, 2006 09:02 AM

Robbie, what needs to be there to make it a better site? Nothing.

However, the man has been the candidate for 75-days - knew that he was going to be the candidate for over 100-days and has been pursuing the seat for 125-days - AND HE HAS ONE (1) ISSUE!?

Come on, the man wants to be my next Congressman and after all this time, he has nothing to say about issues...at least nothing that he is willing to put in writing?

If the man cannot (or will not) put forth position papers 80-days before the election, why does he deserve my vote - or anyone's vote?

Blind allegiance just does not cut it.

Posted by: havinfun at August 22, 2006 07:04 AM

havinfun, I was told by the campaign that you can email suggestions about the site to the webmaster

maybe that will help. i agree more content is needed.

Posted by: Robbie at August 22, 2006 01:30 PM

Paladin,

The event I attended was not "invitation only"--far from it--it was listed in the paper and they wanted folk to come.

If Hare isn't your cup of tea, fine, but I'm having trouble understanding the bend-the-facts-to-fit-my-case nature of your remarks. If you're just Republican or more conservative, it's fine to say just that, rather than pretending you know more about events you didn't attend than you do.

Posted by: Mike Wakeland at August 22, 2006 08:44 PM

Wakeland, what the hell are you talking about? What facts did I bend? And what the hell does THIS mean: "...pretending you know more about events you didn't attend than you do." Huh? What?!?

But whatever. Are you from the QCs? I have never seen an item in our local D/A announcing a Hare event. I see the D/A's blog, Beyond Print, is beginning to list the events for all candidates on both sides of the river. Hare has one event listed, which is today and invitation only. Go figure.

It might be that Hare doesn't feel he has to work very hard in RICO, since it will be a slam-dunk for him, so he is exposing himself more in areas where he is weaker. Just a theory.

But please, even the online D/A editor (jcb) didn't know where or when Hare's events were, so spare me your "bend the facts" lecture.

Posted by: paladin at August 23, 2006 10:34 AM

So Hare has the Whip in town, Steny Hoyer, and what does he do with him? Takes him to Metrolink? WTF? Hopefully they didn't see the buses on the road, 95% empty.

It's widely known that Hoyer is a huge advocate of Federal Civilian employees, why wouldn't Hare take him on a tour of our Arsenal? With the Brac recommendation to move a ton of our jobs, wouldn't it make sense to show one of the most powerful figures in Washington how impressive Arsenal Island really is?

Believe me, Zinga's not getting my vote, but Hare might not get it either. Who's making the decisions on the Hare team? He should be parading Hoyer all over the Island, with every news channel on hand.

Posted by: Anonymous at August 24, 2006 12:46 PM

Who is kidding who. Steny Hoyer has no pull around here. nobody knows who he is. He has no appeal around here.

Posted by: Steny Who at August 24, 2006 03:08 PM

Hare has a team of young amateurs "running" his campaign. They are way over their head, but I guess that's how Mr. Hare wants things. That will come back to haunt him. I can't speak for the Zinga campaign, but can see the Hare campaign is spending way too much time in Rock Island County and not taking advantage of enough opportunities to meet and greet folks and generate media coverage.

My suggestion to Team Hare -- move your headquarters to the southern end and move in there. Time spent in the QCs is time wasted.

Posted by: anonymous at August 25, 2006 03:10 PM

anon @ 3:10 - Aren't the people running the campaign the same people that Lane Evans had been using? They seemed to work out pretty good for him. Our local organizer down here in Knox County is anything but young. I did an interview with him last week and he had lots of experience.

The Hare website has more issues up on it now. They are working on integrating their events calendar onto the website, so then all you guys can't complain about not getting info :-P

Posted by: Robbie at August 26, 2006 06:41 PM

The Farm Bureau provided an endorsement to --- no one? This seems mighty telling, no?

Posted by: havinfun at August 29, 2006 07:48 AM

Here's the latest "scandal" the Hare campaign is attempting to gin up. Evidently Hare has been shopping this story around, and so far QCTimes is the only outlet to take the bait.

What is it with the Democrats and these questionnaires sent out by their special interest groups? This time it's AARP, and if I remember correctly, the Jacobs people tried to make a big deal out of the fact that Rumler had declined to fill out a questionnaire by NARAL, or some other abortion advocacy group.

Another thing I've noticed about the difference between the Hare campaign and Zinga's campaign, is that all of Hare's appearances (at least as shown on his website) are fundraisers, and you have to give him money in order to be blessed by his presence, while Zinga has been attending freebie events like fairs, carnivals, parades, charity events, etc.

I thought Hare had a major financial advantage over Zinga. What's with all the Phil Hare pay-for-view?

Posted by: paladin at September 3, 2006 08:12 PM

No paladin, Here you go again.

You state that Jacobs made a deal about Rumler not filling out paperwork.

WRONG!

Rumler made a big deal out of the fact that he forgot to send in a questionair that worked against him. Not the other way around. Why are you always trying to distort the truth with this crazy talk.

Rumler and Jacobs are friends, Democrats. This is water under the bridge for these two great men.

Posted by: Anonymous at September 4, 2006 04:48 PM

paladin, what calendar were you looking at? almost all the hare events that got posted were parades or picnics.

Posted by: Robbie at September 4, 2006 10:21 PM

Who would be friends if they just cost them over 150 big ones and showed how vulnerable the appointed one was.

Paul Rumler is primed to run for the Senate again and would probably win the 2008 Democratic Primary.

What will make it even easier for him is the fact that James Beals is going to give Mike Jacobs and old fashioned whippin in November.

Sorry Mikey, unless your connections can (I should say will) rig the election, you are going to lose big time.

Posted by: Anonymous at September 5, 2006 11:30 AM

Honestly Robbie, when I looked at Hare's website before I commented, all that parade stuff was not on it. I swear to Gaia! Phil Hare is trying to "gaslight" me!

Get a clue anon4:48, I'll "crazy talk" about anyone I damn well please, as is my right as a disgruntled and thoroughly PO'd American.

Posted by: paladin at September 5, 2006 12:20 PM

Its ok Paladin, unlike me, you probably don't obsessively check websites in a daily basis... I'll let you get by on this one...

Posted by: Robbie at September 5, 2006 01:09 PM

Anonymous at September 5, 2006 11:30 AM, Mike Jacobs and Paul Rumler have buried the hatchet and are friends. To say that he cost the Senator $150 big ones is a bit of a stretch to beat Rumler in a landslide. He has to spend the money that he raises. He brought in over $100 big ones last week with a single local fundraiser.
His fundraiser was far from the garden variety with Jude Cole, Extra television music critic and record Producer with Kiefer Sutherland, of hit TV fame with 24, of such bands as lifehouse and Rocco Deluca doing wonders, perfoming live which was a show to behold. Over 450 people were in atteendance along with State Treasure candidate Alexi G, John G. the godfather of RI county's grandson as a special guest. The crowd included all of the local big names including Congressman Phil Hare who did a great job of working a room.

My personal favorite was the chocolate fountain that a supporter of Jacobs brought which the kids flocked to.

All in all a great evening.

I wouldn't sweat the 150 big ones Jacobs spent to trounce Rumler. He has even more to spend on Beals.

Posted by: A fan of the program at September 5, 2006 10:22 PM

I got to know Phil pretty well in the late '80's and early 90's when I worked as a regional director for Citizen Action. I also worked with Phil's wife, Becky, during part of my time with that consumer group.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I would have to admit that Phil and Becky did once advocate for my promotion within Citizen Action, so it could be said I owe them to a certain extent. I would also like to think that my debt to Phil was at least partially repaid by work my door-to-door canvassers and I did in GOTV efforts for Congressman Evans in '90, '92, '94, and '96.

My personal take on Phil is that he comes from the "liberal" wing of the democratic party. Congressman Evans and Phil Hare both served on the Board of Directors of Citizen Action where I was working for most of the '90's, and Citizen Action organizations across the country are generally on the "Left" side of the Democratic Party. I believe that the individuals who promoted Phil's candidacy as an "extension of Lane's reign" were basically sincere and correct in their assessment.

I certainly wouldn't call Phil a "New Democrat" in the mold of what I'd consider to be the Clinton - Bruce Reed - Democratic Leadership Council - wing of the Democratic Party, for what that kinda label might be worth. If I were to compare Phil to a current member of the Illinois Congressional Delegation, I'd likely choose Representative Jan Schakowsky of Evanston, who also was associated with Citizen Action.

Congressperson Schakowsky is a strong partisan who is also an outspoken advocate for working men and women. Phil will likely not be quite as articulate as Jan, but his fighting spirit and sense of coming from the background of the working man will quite likely be stronger. Phil's not likely to be a star in D.C. like Rahm Emanuel, but Jan's not quite in that league either, so I'd think it's a fairly apt comparison, (At least from the standpoint of Phil's likely voting record.)

Jan would never get as heavy as Phil is currently, and Phil's not married to a convicted felon, so I'd be the first to admit that there are significant differences between Phil and Jan. But I would wager a pretty good sum that their voting records will be similar in shape, even if their bodies aren't.

Posted by: Huntooner at September 6, 2006 09:23 PM

Trounce Rumler??? It was the closest primary in the whole state! That's the truth, look it up. Kind of embarrassing when you spend $200K+ and win by the narrowest margin.

Posted by: Anonymous at September 7, 2006 03:56 PM

While I can appreciate the fact that the recent 03:56 PM Anon post was trying to correct some of the incessant flow of misinformation coming from Mike Jacobs and his "spin wet nurses" (I really can't bring myself to call them doctors!). . . I'd also have to warn that particular individual that correcting Jacob's incessant stream of misinformation & BS is like stepping onto a treadmill.

Hope you like walking in place!

Posted by: Anonymous at September 7, 2006 06:14 PM

There is no second place. Ask Dewey!

Posted by: Ialsowonder at September 8, 2006 09:52 AM

What has been the fallout from Andrea Zinga's comments about profiling all Middle Eastern men on airplanes? I noticed that this has turned into a one-day story only. Maybe she really does have the luck of the Irish or whomever.
While Phil Hare is off the campaign trail ill (and he missed his own fundraiser tonight), I'm sure Ms. Zinga is hitting the circuit. She's working hard. Don't count her out.

Posted by: values matter at September 14, 2006 12:00 AM

I met Zinga at church. She seems nice. I nevr met Hare. What is he like?

Posted by: SavannaSmiling at September 14, 2006 02:41 PM

Can someone get these Republican Staffers a current district map PLEASE!

Smiling . . . the 17th doesn't get to Savanna, . . . not even close. Up there you belong to “Dan the Man Unusual” Manzuillo.

Posted by: TommyLee at September 16, 2006 09:12 AM

I bet TommyLee is fairly home-sick, you know, being that far from Chicago an everything.

Posted by: Joe at September 16, 2006 04:14 PM

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to spot BS . . . when SavannaSmiling is commenting about a Congressional race who's district is about an hour's drive from their home city . . .

doh . . .

If I were from the "Windy City" . . . I wouldn't have known the 17th doesn't touch Carroll County . . . doesn't even get close . . .

Nice try . . . But . . .
You don't know Jack . . .
I mean Joe . . .

Posted by: TommyLee at September 16, 2006 07:14 PM

Evans and Hare have been doing nothing and keeping our area thin. We need some federal Bacon and we are not going to stand for this lack of food. Evans brought nothing in comparison to what is going on in Peoria. They are being fed very well down there as we go starving.
Where is my bacon?
I need to be fed!
Please feed us!

We need someone that can bring something other than empty promises that we have been left with over the years.

Posted by: Anonymous at September 18, 2006 02:50 PM

Peoria gets 1/2 BILLION in federal funds and Lane Evans gives us Phil Hare. Great!

If Rep. Mike Boland was Congressman we would get our fair share! After Mike cleans the floor with HAREing, he's going to go after HARE in the next Democrat Primary.

Mike Boland is a lot better candidate than Phil HARE!

Posted by: BolandSupporter at September 18, 2006 06:55 PM

I think that Hare will beat Zinga bad then Boland. Hare is Lane Evans front man. Evans has done so much for us over the years. He is the best congresman in the midwest. Look at how many elections he won. He was the man in Washington. He will push Hare to victory. I will vote for Hare because of Evans support. As for Boland, it is true that he is a great vote getter, very electable. However he needs to stay put. Hare, with the help and inspiration of Lane Evans would mop the floor with Boland. Boland is a great State Rep and he should stay in that spot.

Posted by: Evans supporter at September 18, 2006 10:06 PM