« Fighting political abuse in Davenport | Main | 36th info on the web »

August 24, 2006

Another GOP barbeque

So the preacher sold an apple pie for $60.

Couldn't have been too tough, though; the bidders were the RICO Republican faithful gathered for a barbeque at Inndian Bluff tonight.

The Rev. Scott Culley, the GOP's County Board district 8 candidate, even worked Mom into the pie pitch. He said she'd helped him make a practice pie, before he made the actual auction pie.

To cinch the deal, he declared the pie to the calory-free. He instantly said he was repenting for that statement but it didn't deter the bidders, who in running the price up to $60 made his pie the biggest money-raiser during the candidate pie auction.

I thought about the calory-free apple pie later, when congressional candidate Andrea Zinga was talking about lowering taxes and the evil "death tax" and being in favor of "more deductions, not more taxes."

She didn't say anything about the ballooning federal deficit, which used to be a matter of great concern to Republicans, back in the pre-George W. Bush days when they were the party of fiscal responsibility.

Anyway, she's also a strong believer in the second amendment and knows how to shoot; she thinks healthcare is the issue that Congress has ignored, and whatever is done shouldn't result in government being the provider; she's for tort reform, and got in a shot at Democrat Phil Hare because the "trial lawyers" have given him money; and she's way in favor of increasing ethanol production.

Didn't hear anything and Iraq or immigration, until someone asked about the latter. She's in favor of closing the borders and fixing they system so that employers don't have to wait so long to figure out the status of immigrant workers.

She also urged everyone to their church and social groups and schools and "do something bold. Talk a little politics." That's good advice; we need people talking politics everywhere these days.

Sheriff candidate Kraig Schwigen said he was urging people to view he and Democrat Mike Huff as applicants for a job. He said he's willing to provide a full resume and will authorize whoever wants to do a criminal background check on him, just like he does on people he hires.

Schwigen's got a cool car -- a '49 Plymouth decked out in black and white paint, with a badge on the door. Pretty eye-catching.

None of the state candidates were present; neither was state senate candidate James Beals. Chairman Susie Carpentier said he's in Malaysia.

So state rep. candidate Steve Haring and a couple of county board guys rounded out the candidate line-up. Carpentier said they served about 200 porkchops.

Everybody seemed to be having a nice time, and the crowd even got a touch of good stump speech-making, from Zinga. She delivered her lines well, and got considerably more than the required polite applause several times.

Posted by jcb at August 24, 2006 09:54 PM

Comments

I'm curious about the Democrat position on the "ballooning federal deficit". I agree that the Republicans have shown themselves to be every bit as corrupt and free-spending as Democrats (which means many of us have no party to represent our interests), but what do the Democrats propose? If it's higher taxes, I dare them to come right out and say it. Is it something else? If so, what?

But really jcb, are you serious when you say "we need people talking politics everywhere these days"?

Maybe where you work and where you play and those you associate with agree with your politics, and if so, power to ya. But we're a divided nation and a divided area. And let's get real here, most of us associate with those who agree with us, so when we come into contact with those who DON'T agree with us, our instinct is to say nothing rather than cause a ruckus. You know it's true. But what is the point in discussing politics with the like-minded? Not much. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

And for something completely OT: the D/A reported today that Hare/Zinga had agreed to three debates. But Allmeier also noted that Evans declined to debate Zinga in '04, the year he said he could "do the job" if re-elected. False hope, to say the least. But looking back, don't you think this would have been a good opportunity for the D/A and other local news outlets to examine why, if Evans could "do the job" of Congressman, he couldn't "do the job" of debating his opponent?

Posted by: paladin at August 25, 2006 02:13 PM

I attended another event last night -- the fundraising reception for State Sen. Mike Jacobs at Moline's Centre Station. An unofficial count put the attendance at about 400, I think. Lots of familiar faces and a very successful event.
What made it special was listening to the wonderful songs by Jude Cole, who performed an acoustic set. John, if you didn't get there you would have enjoyed the scene and the music.

Posted by: grillmaster deluxe II at August 25, 2006 02:34 PM

Why so shy, jcb? You know I love to talk about politics, but I prefer to blather in the anonymity of the internet, rather in settings where I am not sure what the person's or persons political leanings are. Could you please expand on your comment that "we need people talking politics everywhere these days"? It's always possible that I have missed the cluetrain.

And I didn't mean to single out the D/A for criticism about Lane Evans. In hindsight, red flags were down everywhere and Evans was just a train wreck waiting to happen (how's that for a mixed metaphor?). But I wonder why no one could or would throw the brake on the train or why no one could or would point out that the emperor had no clothes. Waiting this long to retire wasn't good for Lane Evans, wasn't good for the local Democrat Party and wasn't good for the 17th Dist. Why did so many people avert their eyes?

Posted by: paladin at August 26, 2006 04:23 PM

James Beals must be back from Malaysia - he was spotted at the Silvis night parade on Saturday. He handed out cards that touted him as being the State Senator of the 36th District. The word CANDIDATE was no where to be seen. Also noted the lack of party affiliation. Interesting.

Posted by: Anonymous at August 28, 2006 08:28 AM

I'll bet Beals learned that from lil Denny Ahern - who's family is still occasionally seen wearing their Ahern State Representative shirts

Posted by: Anonymous at August 28, 2006 10:08 AM

Beals isn't commenting on his party affiliation? Maybe to throw people off? He comes from a long line of democrats in Hampton. Maybe he thinks people aren't intelligent enough to realize it's the general election in November. If I were Chairman Carpentier I wouldn't like that he's hiding the fact he's a republican. I personally don't like the fact that he is declaring himself our State Senator when he's never been elected. Aren't there some rules about that kind of thing? Or does he think that people will believe he's the incumbant?

Posted by: Anonymous at August 28, 2006 11:48 AM

Good for Beals.

I did the same thing. My campaign material did not state 'Republican' for one primary reason... some people would tune out immediately rather than paying attention and (maybe) discovering that they may align better (personally) with my thinking than the liberal agenda of the party that they have been affilitated with (out of habit).

We all cry for politicians who will 'do what is right for the people' yet we follow blindly our party affiliation, regardless of what is best for the people.

Anonymous, the bottom-line is that voters need to 'think' period, not just follow blindly (regardless of the race, regardless of the candidates).

Posted by: Jim Mowen at August 28, 2006 01:16 PM

I don't mind that he isn't claiming his party on his information but it bothers me that he is claiming to be our state senator without being elected.

Posted by: JS at August 28, 2006 03:21 PM

Although the Illinois State Board of Elections has bigger issues about which to worry, non-incumbent candidates should specifically say they're a "candidate for State Senate" or a "candidate for State Rep" instead of pushing the message they he or she is actually the elected incumbent. That is the right and honest and ethical thing to do.

Posted by: values matter at August 28, 2006 04:54 PM

Anon 11:48 AM

Why don't you read your own writing.

"I personally don't like the fact that he is declaring himself our State Senator when he's never been elected. Aren't there some rules about that kind of thing? Or does he think that people will believe he's the incumbant?'

Guess What, Mike Jacobs was never elected!

He's running around, pretending to be an incumbent. Maybe Jacobs should take the word "Senator" off of his campaign literature.

Posted by: Anonymous at August 28, 2006 05:21 PM

Mr. Beydler,

The campaign website is now on-line.

www.bealsforsenate.com

Sincerely,
James M. Beals, State Senate Candidate, 36th District

Posted by: James Beals at August 28, 2006 06:37 PM

Paladin -- not shy, just way too busy.

Yes, I mean that we all should be talking politics with our friends, acqaintances and even the occasional stranger. And certainly not just with those with whom we agree about 99 percent of the time.

If you've got a friend on the other side of the abortion divide, that's probably not the first topic to bring up. Look for the areas of agreement first -- amazing how many of those you're likely to find.

Any effort to find common ground can only benefit a political dialogue that's mostly blabheads yelling at each other on tv, and the anonymous chatter on the blogs.

Anon 11:48 AM -- Sen. Jacobs was appointed, then nominated so I suppose you can argue he's not been elected. But he is the incumbent, which is simply the person who holds the office.

Posted by: jcb at August 28, 2006 08:04 PM

Mike Jacobs holds the office and the title. Beals doesn't. Makes me mad he is "forgetting" to say candidate for.... Beals should play by the rules.

Posted by: Anonymous at August 29, 2006 08:48 AM

Maybe people should read the back of the card which says Paid for by "Beals for Senate"

The committee is on file with the Illinois State Board of Elections and is public information.

Speaking of lack of ethics, why did the appointed Mike Jacobs file his report late and why has Denny Jacobs not yet filed his report. The deadline was the end of July.

Looks like Beals is following the rules and the Jacobs supporters are using the old smear routine again...getting old boys and girls.

Posted by: Anonymous at August 29, 2006 01:03 PM

Beals is good at "forgetting" a lot of things if it benefits him, like why he's held so many jobs.

Posted by: anonymous at August 29, 2006 01:54 PM

On the front of the card is says JAMES BEALS, SENATOR 36TH DISTRICT. How blatant it that?

Posted by: Anonymous at August 29, 2006 01:57 PM

Anonymous at August 29, 2006 01:03 PM, Denny Jacobs and Mike Jacobs are two different people. Denny is five feet eight inches tall, while Mike Jacobs is six feet four inches tall. What the older shorter Jacobs does is not what the taller younger Jacobs does, or the other way around.
Is it fair to Blame James Beals if his father didn't pay his property tax.

This is rediculous.

Posted by: Keep your mother out of this. at August 29, 2006 05:21 PM

Say what you will about Beals, and I still say he has more cojones than Jacobs because he will confront the anonymous Democrat Smear Machine, while Jacobs holds himself aloof and will only answer if you call him. When I called Jacobs with questions about his extreme number of unitemized expenditures, I gave him my real name.

Why won't the anonymous smear artists here call Beals, give their real names and ask him questions? Then please report back, as I did.

Also, Beals and any other Republican who runs in this heavily gerrymandered district deserves our respect. It can't be easy for them to be cannon fodder for the Democrat Smear Machine and the Politburo, but without them, how would we have anything even close to a democracy? The Democrats are all for the "right to choose" as long as the "choice" concerns abortion and not political choice.

I don't know if or when the Republican party will revive in RICO. My guess is not until the level of Democrat hubris, arrogance and corruption is finally uncovered (I'd say the RICO Courthouse is ripe ground for corruption investigations). Until then, thanks to all Republicans who attempt to fight the good fight against overwhelming odds.

Posted by: paladin at August 30, 2006 01:32 PM

Hmmm, do you have an opinion on regional Democrats?

I know an awful lot of good Democrats who work hard, work with integrity, work to improve the quality of life in the area. To paint a smear like you do, which is ironically what you accuse Democrats of doing on the blogs, is unfair to the good Democrats I know throughout Rock Island County.

Sometimes you remind me of the old saying from Mary Matalin: "When you're losin' you start abusin'"

These generalizations, putting all Democrats into one box, don't cut it.

It's time for you to think "out of the box" a bit, Paladin.

Posted by: values matter at August 30, 2006 04:37 PM

Paladin, I agree people really need to quit being such cowards on here posting as anonymous... Especially if you are going to call other people out on issues.

I do totally disagree with your representation of the democratic party. To bad mouth them for gerrymandering when both parties do it all the time is kinda silly. The republican party is no more above this idea than the democratic party. There is a lawyer down here in Knox County pushing pretty hard to get a movement going for the computerized districting. I am all for that. I have gerrymandering personally.

Posted by: Robbie at August 30, 2006 05:38 PM

Paladin, thank you for the compliment.

I don't know why Mike's report was late or why Denny Jacobs has not filed his report. They have the same treasurer and this is public information on the Illinois State Board of Elections website. Look under the committee officer's tab.

Friends of Denny Jacobs
Friends of Mike Jacobs

My dad is a good Democrat and pays his property tax. He lives about 2 blocks from Denny's treasurer and they have had a great friendship for many years.

Janet has even asked my mom and brother to be Democratic election judges and they accepted, like they have for years.

I am running as a Republican and won the Republican primary, unopposed (over 8,000 votes).

I am pro-life and I am pro-labor. More of the campaign strategy will be implemented after my business trip to India.

As stated on the campaign website
www.bealsforsenate.com

"I will do everything within my power to help elect Judy Baar Topinka as the next Governor of Illinois."

Sincerely,
James M. Beals, State Senate Candidate, 36th District

Posted by: James Beals at August 30, 2006 06:04 PM

To VM: What regional Dems? I'm an independent, I vote for the person, not the party. I voted for Obama in both the primary and general. Does that give me some cred? Your losin'/abusin' comment is unfortunate. If Republicans pulled the same crap the RICO Dems did (Vershoore, Jacobs, Hare) I'd be shrieking about them too. But no Republican has political power in RICO. In fact, I'd love to live in a district where both Republicans and Democrats could be bashed with impunity. It just isn't so in RICO.

I wish we had a "none of the above" feature when voting, especially when a candidate is unopposed. I'm sure "none of the above" would win every time. One party rule causes voter apathy and promotes corruption. How is it helpful for an elite handful of Democrats to have complete control over local politics? How is this good for our county/district, or for our country, for that matter? (I'm sure you think one party rule by Republicans is a disaster!) But please, YOU think outside the box, just because I criticize Democrats doesn't mean I'm a Republican. Sheesh! And for the record, I'm married to a Democrat, and happily so, so I don't think all Democrats are bad.

Robbie, gerrymandering sux, no matter if it benefits Republicans or Democrats. I say give the power to the people, not the the powerful political elites.

I didn't mean my comments to be applied to all Democrats, but since several have complained, I'm thinking that if the shoe fits.....

Posted by: paladin at August 31, 2006 04:52 PM

How many pies does it take to win as a republican in Rock Island County? Give up? None, It can't be done county-wide.

Posted by: Demi at September 1, 2006 11:27 PM

paladin at August 30, 2006 01:32 PM, I can't help that Mr. Beals reads this smear machine. You have been attacking Sen. Jacobs every time you can. Saying that Sen Jacobs has less cojones than Beals is a real terrible thing to say. Do you have experience with both? What is wrong with you!
I think that it takes plenty of "cojones" for Sen. Mike Jacobs to keep your identity secret. I asked him. Pleaded with him to let me know your identity. He stood pat. Not a word from the Senator about your Republican identity. Now that is something to talk about. A real stand up guy.

Posted by: Big Cojones at September 2, 2006 11:36 AM

Jeez Mr. Big, you are pathetic. It's not enough that you use rumor and innuendo in an attempt to create a Beals scandal, now you want to drag me and Mike Jacobs' cojones into your sordid little fantasy. For shame!

But you'll never convince me that Mike Jacobs was "brave" by becoming the placeholder for the Jacobs family turnkey operation. There is nothing "brave" about Mike joining the family business.

And what's up with your "I begged Jacobs to tell me your identity, but he stood fast" bs? Do tell Mr. Big, for what purpose did you intend to use this information? Make threatening phone calls? Kill my pets? Threaten my family? Vandalize my home? Kidnap my son?

Personally, I doubt Jacobs remembers the 10 minute conversation we had a month ago, and if he does remember me, rather than the others who called about the same topic, and ties the conversation and my screen name here together, this indicates to me that Jacobs has too much time on his hands, and should look for more fulfilling work.

Posted by: paladin at September 3, 2006 08:34 PM

Mike Jacobs wouldn't go the bathroom without asking permission first. He is owned by the machine that has kept Rock Island County in poverty for over a decade and wants nothing more than to futher his own political career.

Perhaps Jacobs could learn something from the Zinga campaign and put people before politics or better yet, constituents before himself.

I really hope Mr. Beals wins. He has the experience and the class to lead the Senate district towards progress and would bring RI county out of the poverty slump.

Good luck Mr. Beals, you have your hands full, but I have faith that you will come out the winner. Serve us well.

Posted by: Anonymous at September 5, 2006 11:26 AM

Big Mike Jacobs is the Democrat Machine. Are you suggesting that he has to ask himself to go to the bathroom! Please Beals, you ought to find something better to do with your limited time than make things up that are so easily disproven!

Posted by: BytheNUMBERS at September 5, 2006 04:19 PM

Beals,

1) Provide a few examples where Illinois Senator Mike Jacobs put himself ahead of the people he serves?

2) Is being found drunk and bleeding on the floor at Hollars Bar is a "classy" thing to do? Is this the type of "class" you would bring to the Illinois Senate?

3) What specific hands-on political experience do you offer the people of the 36th District? Have you ever run for politcal office before and how did you fair? Did you ever work in the Illinois Legislature or in some other successful political capacity? ? What makes you think you are more qualified for high politcal office than Illinois Senator Mike Jacobs? Jacobs boasts a Master's Degree in Politcal Studies --- where did you earn your Master's Degree? Or do you have less education than Jacobs? Please advise.

Rooting for someone is one thing, but being blind and plain wrong is another!

MISTY

Posted by: PlayMISTY at September 5, 2006 04:52 PM

Bythenumbers, I don't think that Jacobs is the machine, I think he is the grease. Jacobs holds a degree in greasing 101.

And please Mike Jacobs, stop posting anonymously on this website, it's getting really old. Beals has a number of supporters and there are number of people that just don't like Mike Jacobs.

Beals is just plan smarter than Jacobs.

Posted by: Anonymous at September 6, 2006 02:37 AM

Jacobs doesn't post on this blog at all. I know that for a fact. Maybe there are people out there who have something against Beals. Like maybe the owner of Hollars Bar and Grill in Moline. Can you say Mortgage forclosure?

Posted by: Anonymous at September 6, 2006 04:52 PM

Let me understand this. Beals is suing the very people he someday hopes to represent? Does anyone elese think this is odd?

Posted by: Anonymous101 at September 6, 2006 09:39 PM

Can you say Senator Beals and Mr. Jacobs?

Posted by: Anonymous at September 7, 2006 11:34 AM

You can say it, but it anint going to heppen. Enjoy!

Posted by: Ialsowonder at September 8, 2006 09:50 AM

My prediction as the newspapers write the late night headline. "Beals wins, Jacobs shocked"

Posted by: Anonymous at September 9, 2006 11:33 PM

My prediction

Beals - 52%
Jacobs - 48%

Hare wins due to the district map and Boland is no longer State Representative.

Posted by: Anonymous` at September 10, 2006 04:42 AM

Wake up Beals, you are dreaming!

Posted by: Ialsowonder at September 10, 2006 09:14 PM

Afterreading these crazy assertions that Beals will win, how exactly is he going to do it. Click his heals together and wish upon a star. Beals has already wavered on the choice issue. If he is on the run already how will he ever get the traction to surpass Jacobs.

Posted by: Bill Jones at September 11, 2006 07:49 AM

And what has Jacobs done?

Beals asked for a debate, Jacobs holds umbrellas.

Jacobs hides behind an appointed office.

Mr. Beals is the salt of the Earth and will flat out tell you what he thinks and what he represents.

Glad the voters have a choice.

Posted by: Anonymous at September 12, 2006 11:55 AM

Beals will flat out tell you what he thinks and probably get his jaw broke again as a result. Then he can sue businesses in the district he is running for state office in. Smart.

Posted by: Anonymous at September 12, 2006 12:08 PM

Sen. Mike Jacobs increased education funding by $675 million, provided comprehensive affordable healthcare for every child in Illinois and won $2.5 million with which to jump start Western Illinois in Moline. Last week Jacobs conviced Governor Balgojevichto include $14 million in the Capitol Budget for the new university. Yesterday, Jacobs delivered $67,000 for new blinds at Glenview Grad School. Tonight Jacobs is being honored by the Illinois Farm Bureau for his stellar record of service to the people. What has Beals done today? Or ever?

Posted by: KattN at September 12, 2006 03:58 PM

I have heard that Jacobs and Belas will be at a womans rights group soon. Does anyone have an idea when and where this event will be. With Beals mouth and Jacobs frankness this should be a good show.

Posted by: Ben Richards at September 13, 2006 03:16 PM

KattN,

You really think that Jacobs is responsible for the $14-million? And let's not brag about the healthcare for kids - no one has sen the bill for this yet (I have got to believe that 2-years from now, no one will hold their head very high for voting for this).

Posted by: Anonymous at September 14, 2006 01:42 PM

Does u think Beals is a gonna show? I love to sees Haring and Bolans fight a gain.

Posted by: SavannaSmiling at September 14, 2006 02:38 PM

Anonymous at September 14, 2006 01:42 PM, you owe it to yourself to go into a doctors office. The all kids program is up and running. There are posters up telling all about it. If you feel that to give children of Illinois heath care at a reasonable cost to the parent is something to be ashamed of, well lets just say that you and Beals republican blue bloods should try and have a child without health care.

Posted by: ED at September 14, 2006 09:23 PM

ED, the point was that no one has seen the 'bill' (the cost of the program to the State) - and when this cost is known, (Democrat) politicians who voted for this (well intentioned) bill will run and hide as they passed the bill with (1) no information on how much the cost would be, and (2) no information on how that unknown cost was going to be paid.

For a government that is running enormous deficits, this (well intentioned) bill will be a nightmare for many.

Posted by: Anonymous at September 15, 2006 03:27 PM

Anonymous at September 15, 2006 03:27 PM,please read this and comment on it. Without this afordable healthcare for children they will not do the prevention we the tacx[ayer will pay for a visit to the Emergency room at six times the cost.
The All kids program actually is insurance at a state rate. This is a way to get people to get insurance for their children.

Posted by: ED at September 15, 2006 06:00 PM