« Here comes the Veep ... and there he goes | Main | Malin inclined to pay partisan bill; not me »

July 17, 2006

The mike's open...

President Bush's open-mike incident is what it is.

This Times (of London) Online story includes a transcript.

Posted by jcb at July 17, 2006 10:30 PM

Comments

The level of arrogance is astounding - the President goes to a meeting of some of the most influential leaders in the world and he acts like my friends do at our yearly fantasy football draft. As John Stewart suggested - at least President Bush was on topic - God only knows what might have been captured on tape if he was talking about less important matters. I am not here to question the President's intelligence, but I cannot see how he has the capacity to accomplish any meaningful diplomatic goals. Diplomacy is an art Ė Bushís brushstrokes are too broad and sporadic to produce a masterpiece. Unfortunately, with the level of instability in the Middle East and around the globe a diplomatic masterpiece is exactly what the world needs.

Posted by: Rob Mellon at July 18, 2006 01:22 AM

I dream of someday spending a vacation in Great Britain and Wales. Now I guess I will have to wait a few more years until Bush is out of office. Otherwise, how could I show my face? Bush continues to make a laughingstock out of us. I suppose I could wear a pin that said "I didn't vote for him."

Even worse, the video shows Mr. Bush conducting this conversation over his shoulder, leaning back in his chair and chewing his food with his mouth half-open. Any parent of a child acting like that would have said, "Turn around, sit up straight, and don't talk with your mount full!"

Posted by: Vita at July 18, 2006 09:04 AM

While perhaps not in the best of taste, from what I understand, it was supposed to be a "private" luncheon. He hasn't been the only one to have private conversation made public. I can think of Kerry, Clinton, Reagan, and a host of Senators caught in the same situation. Rob, you don't think this doesn't go on all the time? Vita, you've never done this yourself? Remember, the operative word here is private.

Posted by: Watcher at July 18, 2006 01:14 PM

I don't get the frenzy about this. I can only assume that the national press is comprised of 12 year old boys, otherwise I don't understand the snort!snicker!guffaw! tone of the reporting. I do believe that if anyone of us was secretly taped during a dinner party where we knew some of the guests better than others, it would pretty much yield the same result---conversation that was both banal and frank. And "frankly", I'm with Vita----Bush talking with his mouth full "frankly" offends me more than his utterance of sh*t. I do hope his Mother has a conversation with him about table manners and how he was "not raised in a barn" (MY mother's favorite exhortation).

But what's with the POTUS as god who is perfect and can never, ever make a mistake? Who really believes this? What planet are these people on? Maybe it's just because I'm old and have lived some history, or maybe it's because I'm a history buff, but Bush saying sh*t in a private setting just doesn't get my "outrage" meter going.

I first came to the realization that POTUS were real people sometime around '73-'74 when I read the transcript of the Watergate tapes. Of course, by then, or soon after, I was aware that the sainted John Kennedy had been bonking pretty much everything the moved----including mafia molls. To say nothing of prodigious drug use that would make Timothy Leary proud (all legal in the '60s, I might add).

I can only imagine what Harry Truman would say about all this, and I quote: #%$$@*(>?+_@!$%

Posted by: paladin at July 18, 2006 02:38 PM

Why does the use of simple profanity shock anyone at this point? Profanity has become the accepted way to make strong points replacing adverbs and adjectives in the language. I do not approve but then read the blogs. If you criticize someone for using profanity or hate laced terminology you get bonked over the head by the free-speech community where anything goes as long as you do not wish to talk about God. Even today in the QC online posting the word f***ing was used in a post and printed.

Posted by: NMP at July 18, 2006 04:59 PM

I think it all boils down to hypocrisy, which this conservative crew is so full of. They talk all day and night about "family values" and how "values matter" and then ring up the largest deficits in US history and commit us to a disastrous foreign polic and the use foul language. It's like when Richard Nixon lectured Harry Truman about using foul language, and then proceeded to move forward with Watergate. We are sick and tired of so-called conervatives pretending to be better than everyone else. Do you get it?

Posted by: values matter at July 18, 2006 10:41 PM

NWP -- I don't think it's the foul language that disturbs people so much as the simplicity of mind displayed throughout the conversation.

I keep wondering how long Blair had realized the mic was live before he finally shut it off.

Posted by: jcb at July 19, 2006 12:52 AM

George W. Bush is the 43rd President of the United States. Prior to his Presidency, President Bush served for 6 years as the 46th Governor of the State of Texas.

President Bush received a bachelorís degree in history from Yale University in 1968. He went on to earn a Master of Business Administration from Harvard Business School in 1975. Following graduation, he moved back to Midland and began a career in the energy business. After working on his fatherís successful 1988 Presidential campaign, President Bush assembled the group of partners who purchased the Texas Rangers baseball franchise in 1989.

In contrast, you are a former D/A reporter and now a little read local blog. Do you really think you are smarter than the President of the United States? Am I missing something? What is it with the self-appointed media elite?

Posted by: KateNelson at July 19, 2006 10:02 AM

Kate mentioned the Rangers so I will use a baseball analogy. George Bush was born on third base and has gone through his entire life believing he hit a triple. I don't need to hear his resume he has been handed everything in his life, including the Presidency. That type of lifestyle and upbringing breeds hubris. I could care less about the profanity during the open mic - it was his actions that disturbed me. I don't think it is a lack of intelligence, but rather a complete lack of civility. He is so terribly arrogant that he thinks he can do or say whatever he wants - even in front of other heads of state. Kate I would like some more history on Bush since you appear to be an expert - how did his energy business turn out? Also, when his business was hemorrhaging money at an alarming rate how was he able to sell it for a profit? How was he a part owner of the Rangers while putting in less than $500,000 - Kate do you know what a professional baseball team costs? He had an awful lot of influence with the Rangers for the amount of money he put in - why? The answers are all very simple - big oil money and his name - Kate, don't try to make Bush out to be another Abraham Lincoln. He is more like Warren G. Harding.

Posted by: Rob Mellon at July 19, 2006 01:36 PM

Kate Nelson, I think I am smarter than the President. Why do I think that? Because I view the President as a bumbling moron. You can cite his history all you want. The man is a failure, both before and during his presidency. You talk about him going to college. Well he conveniently went to the same school as his father. What does that make him? A legacy student. Now Iím not sure if youíve actually been to college, from the childish nature of your post I am assuming you havenít, but if you had, you would know that a school does everything it can to ensure a legacy student does well. Especially if that studentís father happens to be a rich senator. Not to mention that the students grandfather was also a senator.

You skipped over his time in the military. Why is that I wonder? Perhaps because it is an embarrassing moment in his life? When his family was able to buy his way out of Vietnam when others were sent over to die.

You skip over his rampant drinking and DUI conviction that took up most of his young life. You briefly mention that he was in the energy business. What was his experience in that field? Did he happen to lead Arbusto energy into the ground? When that got bought out by his daddyís friends did he also run that company (Spectrum 7) into the ground? This doesnít seem like something I would be boasting about.

Then Bush became a politician. Had he not hooked up with the 3-headed monster of Hughes, Allbaugh, and Rove, I doubt that would have fared much better than the rest of his life. But alas, he succeeded; his campaign was able to polarize people into believing he was helping them. He even got elected president. Though it is important to remember he did not win the popular vote. And if it wasnít for our antiquated system of electing the president, Al Gore would have been elected and no one would ever remember ĎW.í

I think he has shown to be a very poor president. He initiated no child left behind please feel free to ask public school teachers how that is working out. He has gotten thousands of Americans killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. Please ask their families how that is working out. He refuses to accept the Kyoto Protocols and continues to kill our environment. Please ask oak trees how that is working out. (note the sarcasm) He has made a mess of FEMA, please ask New Orleans residents how thatís working out. He has tried to increase discrimination by pushing anti-gay issues and trying to outlaw their marriage. Please ask the homosexual community how thatís working out. He has consistently quashed any efforts for stem cell research, please ask Nancy Reagan about that.

I personally donít see how anyone can support this man as a good president, or even a good man. As stated in a comment above me, he really thinks he has earned his place in life. Once you look at his past you can tell thatís just not the case.

Kate Nelson, you then proceed to attack the author of this blog. You question what he has done. Well I ask you, what have you done? What makes your opinion so important? I know there are plenty of people who comment here and actually care what John says. But why should we care what you say?

Posted by: Robbie at July 20, 2006 08:49 AM

Mr. Mellon, you have chased this new-politician role a little bit, yet you sound like the same-old 'everything a Republican does is wrong' Democrat. Are you now going to spend the next 2+ years trying to cozy up to the Democrat left?

Let's face it, for a man who identifies himself as a Christian, 'crap' would have been a more appropriate choice of words. However, if this is what shakes out for news these days, we have serious issues.

Rob, what would have been your comments about the manner in which Clinton handled himself?

Posted by: Anonymous at July 22, 2006 12:23 PM

Yes, I am SURE that I have on occasion displayed poor manners, talked nonsense and slouched in my chair. But I wasn't representing my country at a state dinner. I think I'd behave with more dignity than Mr. Bush did on such an occasion. His entire manner was a poor reflection on us. I don't care about his saying s---, although it might have been better done in a private meeting with Blair.

Rob Mellon was right in his comment on Bush thinking he hit a triple. His whole demeanor, since I can remember, reflects this. Mr. Bush does not seem to be a thoughtful man, nor a man with intellectual curiosity, open-mindedness, or knowledge of history. I would rank Mr. Beydler above him in all those categories. In my eyes, that makes Mr. Beydler the better man.

Posted by: Vita at July 23, 2006 02:55 PM