« Moving against the presidential power grab | Main | 36th District Stuff, Part Two... »

July 27, 2006

Does this have legs?

Bernard Schoenburg of the State Journal-Register has checked in with his story on on the Phil Hare-Andrea Zinga finance filings.

Zinga campaign manager Charlie Johnston grumbled to Schoenburg, as he did to Q-C reporters, about filing a formal complaint with the Federal Election Commission about the fact that some donors gave Hare twice the amount that is normally allowed in a quarter.

Hare's people say the double donations are OK because half was for the bizarre "primary" election and half is for the general election. They say they checked with the FEC to make sure accepting the money was OK in the circumstances.

Here's the letter Hare's committee filed with the FEC about the matter.

So, is this going anywhere?

Posted by jcb at July 27, 2006 09:56 PM

Comments

John,

This appears to be a non-story and non-issue on campaign finance matters. My sense is that Phil Hare will go the extra mile to make sure every step taken is proper and legal with the FEC. If that's somehow not the case in this instance, I would be deeply surprised.

Posted by: grillmaster deluxe II at July 27, 2006 11:22 PM

so Zinga is crying all ready about something that does not matter to me, a voter. Money is and always has been key to this business. Hare raised it, Zinga had two months to work her tail off while the Dems had their little "special election" and what did she do with her time? well, looks like she blew it. First she never votes or participates in the political process, but now wants to be my Congress person. Then she rails against Lane Evans health for 3+ years, and now against Hare and him raising money. What about BRAC and TACOM, what about our farmers opportunities with ethanol and manure digestation units, what about jobs, what about issues. Not one republican on the Illinois side is talking issues. Beals is fighting internet hoodlums about his broken jaw, Haring, well where is he, Zinga, complain, complain, complain. No wonder Getz left his post. The Republican party is a joke in Western Illinois, as is the candidates they offer up.

Posted by: GeeWhiz at July 28, 2006 07:08 AM

Seems like this is a lot like Hare working for Evans and being a candidate at the same time. While it wasn't detrimental to the campaign, it just makes him look that much more fishy. Hare just seems to be trying to throw this election away. He's like a major athlete that just can't get away from trouble long enough to cash in their golden ticket.

Posted by: Robbie at July 28, 2006 07:46 AM

Is it a story? not really.
Is it an issue? certainly.

One candidate is (rightfully so) being aggressive on raising dollars and the other candidate is (rightfully so) questioning that fundraising.
The FEC will figure it out and in the end it will be a non-issue in the race.

Posted by: Jim Mowen at July 28, 2006 11:12 AM

Although I am running as a Republican I also have some very strong Democratic beliefs. I am pro-labor, pro-life, and pro-family.

Glad hear people want to talk about the issues.

GeeWhiz - add yourself to the growing list of anonymous, smear without fact, internet hoodlums.

Jim Mowen, curious, why is your FEC campaign account still open? Do you plan a run for Congress in 2008 as an Independent?

Sincerely,
James M. Beals, State Senate Candidate, 36th District

Posted by: James Beals at July 28, 2006 10:00 PM

Highly unlikely that I run again. I would not invest the time unless I thought that I could win. One cannot win as an Independent and, to be perfectly honest, the Republicans do not have the leadership within the District, nor does anyone outside of the District care enough, to win.

Keeping the account open is nothing more than keeping options open for the 1:100 chance.

Posted by: Jim Mowen at July 29, 2006 06:34 AM

please point out where I smeared anyone or where I told an untruth? the Republican party locally is a joke, is that a smear- when they have a history of running people like Bess Meersman for Sheriff, fielding zero candidates for any county job, except this year, when you have one; or how about Andrea's inconsistent voting record, and her statement in Evans/Zinga 1 where she said her lack of voting and lack of political activity was a result of her job as a reporter- look back over the tapes. Or was it a smear that I have seen Steve Haring only once on the campaign trail, when supposedly this is a targeted race? Or is it a smear, when you look back at news accounts and blogs about your broken jaw? Please where is the smearing? your negative reaction to everyone is revealing of your candidacy- not well thought out, not well grounded, and soon to self-destruct. Get real Jim, get off the internet and into this race out in the field- that's where the race should be.

Posted by: GeeWhiz at July 29, 2006 12:55 PM

GeeWhiz,

Shall I start with your reasoning why Mr. Getz stepped down as chairman after 6 years.

How about your attack of calling me a joke.

Apparently negative bloggers are not used to a candidate willing to fight back. I suggest you get used to it.

FYI - I just attended the Viola Sesquentennial parade and over 1,000 pieces of campaign literature were passed out. That makes parade number eight this year for me and I have seen my opponent at two (Colona and East Moline).

My staff is producing a fundraising mailer that is going out on Monday. The campaign internet site is purchased and under development. I have an excellent coach and the strategy is working just fine, as planned.

Sincerely,
James M. Beals, State Senate Candidate, 36th District

Posted by: James Beals at July 29, 2006 03:30 PM

2008, BEALS FOR CONGRESS!

Eagle Scout
West Point Graduate
Army Veteran

What an All American candidate we are lucky to have and I look forward to voting for him on November Seventh as our next State Senator.

Posted by: Patriotic American at July 29, 2006 03:54 PM

(James Beals, this might answer your question as to my aspirations in 2008 - I am sure that with the following, I will have no voice with RICO Republicans!)

The Republican Party locally indeed has an issue. The problem is that they do not understand 'proactive leadership.'

Leadership skills would tell the Republicans to (of course) pay attention to the 2006 elections, but start to work aggressively at (1) building a base of precinct people, (2)** understanding leverage of those people, (3)** understanding and crafting a message locally, (4) disseminating that message, (5)** recruiting (and equippoing) strong community leaders to carry the message and to run, whether in 2008, 2012 or 2014.

Let's face it, the die is cast, for the most part, for the 2006 elections. The RI County Republican Committee no matter what effort they do at this point, will not have but a fractional influence in these elections. The elections, at this point, are in the hands of the candidates.

The RICO Republicans need to start thinking one, or more, cycles ahead. They need to have STRATEGIC-thinking, not reactionary efforts. The fact is that most people in the Illinois QC are conservative people (Independents, Democrats and Republicans alike). The RICO Republicans need to embrace and communicate a fiscal and social conservative message - and they have not done this (specifically the 'communicate').

As with the RICO Democrats, there are some wonderful people involved and committed to the RICO Republican party (but it is a small number). However, there are few community leaders involved - and without this group of people, the future is indeed bleek. These people are not involved because community leaders respond to 'proactive leadership' and 'strategic planning.'

I wish Susie Carpenter the best in getting this implimented. When/ if this is accomplished, the makeup of the Illinois QC landscape very well might change.

Posted by: Jim Mowen at July 31, 2006 09:54 AM

Hi Jim,

Just curious... Are you a PC? Why don't you step up and help build this local party instead of just talking about how badly it functions?

Why not be a force for positive change? We can all sit around and mope, but where does that get us?

Posted by: ILDC at July 31, 2006 03:12 PM

Thank you for asking...I have provided an invitation to do just that, but I have not heard anything from them - as of yet.

The simple reality is that one person working alone will do no good. There needs to be a change in the full-view perspective - a real committment to look (and act) in a long-term manner. Until that mindset is act work, it is just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Posted by: Jim Mowen at July 31, 2006 03:57 PM

It appears that Mr. Mowen is not a team player and went home crying after losing a close Primary.

He is certainly not welcome back at Republican Headquarters. He ran as a Republican during the Primary, although his voting record was that of an Indepedent.

He should get behind the rightful winner, Andrea Zinga, and support her candidacy with "Mowen for Zinga" signs and financial donations.

If you closely check FEC records, you will see that Jim Mowen gave Andrea Zinga a recordable donation during her 2004 election.

Mr. Mowen, your campaign days are over and you will never get out of campaign debt. Nobody likes a traitor.

Posted by: Old Guard at July 31, 2006 07:42 PM

Old Guard, I just love how people that cannot even sign there own name are so great at being critical of others. When you even have the backbone to stand behind your opinions is when I will give them a little consideration.

With that said, I am thrilled to be able to say that I am a republican only because it is the lesser of two evils. I am an American first and a Conservative second. Personally, I am embarassed and offended at the conservative record of the Republican Party.

As far Ms. Zinga, yes, I contributed to her 2004 campaign as I believed her to be the better candidate. However, I was shocked at the ethics that she used in the primary and cannot endorse someone that went to such extremes to slander me (or anyone else for that matter). I explained to her that should she wish to put forth a public apology, I would be more than happy to forgive her and endorse her. Of course, that was not going to happen. I suspect that she is the better of the two candidates, but that is not saying much.

I wish you well and I do hope that at some point you find that standing by your opinion is a worthwhile adventure. Have a wonderful day!

Posted by: Jim Mowen at July 31, 2006 08:27 PM

Jim:

You didn't ask for an apology at the unity meeting you had with Andrea and Brian at Headquarters. Yea and Tom Getz was there to witness.

You also said you wouldn't work against her. From your recent blog posts it doesn't seem your word is worth much.... "15 point Hare win" to jog your memory.

Posted by: Insider at July 31, 2006 09:35 PM

Insider, and I suspect that by the manner in which you are speaking, 'Insider' is Gilligan...(1) I discussed her lies and slander before you got to the meeting (you will recall that you were the last one there) and indeed told her that I would be happy to endorse her should she issue a public apology, and (2) The blog 'question' was based on the fact that Hare raised more money in 3-weeks than Zinga did in 3-months - and was "is there any reason to believe that Hare will not win by 15-points based on this?"

If me asking this question is working against her, then so be it.

And Brian, as with the previous post - come on, please have the guts to use your own name.

Posted by: Jim Mowen at August 1, 2006 06:51 AM

Jim -

An invitation? For PC? What are you talking about!

I guess you don't know how the damn thing works. Get elected committeeman. Work to build your precinct. Show some leadership.

Or I guess you can just pack up your bags and go home... looks like that's what you've chosen to do.

The reason the party went downhill years ago in the county is because we have too many Mowens, not enough team players.

Posted by: ILDC at August 1, 2006 10:42 AM

Mr Beals, is every story here about you? I thought this was a place to comment on Zinga and Hare (and the FEC).

Posted by: Anonymous at August 1, 2006 11:58 AM

This thread reminds me why I long for a third party, as do 70+% of the public, if polls are to be believed.

Locally and nationally, the Democrat Party represents mindless zombies. My jaw bruised my sternum when so many of the committeemen voting for the selected Hare, said "hey, if Lane wants Hare, that's good enough for me". Local Dems have surrendered both their brains and their cojones to the party. Nationally, Dems will move to the right of Patrick Buchanan, if they can attack GWB. Let's get real----the Democrats stand for nothing except winning elections.

But the Republicans are just as pathetic. After 40 years of Democrat control in the Congress, the Republicans finally win a majority. Their "Contract With America" stipulated that less government, more personal responsibility and lower taxes was needed. But thanks to GWB and his "compassionate conservatism" and a decade in power, the Republicans have demonstrated that they are every bit as corrupt as the Democrats. Some choice, huh? ILDC just parrots the Democrats when he implies Republicans should surrender their hearts, minds and cojones to The Party. Pathetic.

Anyone who wants to join me in supporting a political party that represents the people, not the powerful, speak up!

Posted by: paladin at August 1, 2006 01:29 PM

Paladin,

For the past months you've been on this blog whining about the local "politburo."

Well, no one gives up power for the hell of it! A better matched competitor has to take it from them. In politics, it's not easy to do. It doesn't happen over night. It takes work.

And the fact is that grassroots volunteers win elections. It's the people that put the signs in, talk to their neighbors, raise money, make phone calls, drive senior citizens to the polls that have an impact on elections. If you don't have that then you don't have anything.

And if you think that this area is better off because of the D's dominance, where Democrat PC's don't even have any political leverage, let alone your average voter, then we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Posted by: Anonymous at August 1, 2006 03:33 PM

Paladin,

As I have likely slit my throat with the local Republicans, count me in. I would love to see what a group of people can accomplish if they care about nothing other than the people and the issues that affect those people (and lose all of the 'agenda's').

Posted by: Jim Mowen at August 1, 2006 04:38 PM

Paladin ...

There are times that this life-long Democrat begins to wonder about the two-party system that spends an inordinate amount of time taking care of their own, sometimes at the expense of solving problems. That's what led to Ross Perot in 1992. I was a Paul Tsongas supporter, because he had that independent streak and because he had a single-minded focus on the deficit.

Illinois election law is stacked in favor of the Republicans and Democrats. Independents in this state stand about as good a chance at success as a snowball rolling outside 5th Avenue in downtown Moline tonight. That doesn't mean folks shouldn't try, but those are the odds, in my view.

Posted by: grillmaster deluxe II Jr. at August 1, 2006 07:13 PM

Too late for any independent candidates this year; June 26 was last day to file.

Take a look at the BOE memo for non-Dem/Rep candidates. Next time will be along soon.

Posted by: jcb at August 1, 2006 10:50 PM

The 2008 Congressional elections will be normal elections - my guess is there will be strong challengers from both parties. There is really no chance for an independent candidate to win - so establishing a coalition of voters under the banner of one of the parties is the only means to accomplish a congressional victory.

In 2008 there will be more voters due to the presidential election - the fact that both parties at the national level will have multiple presidential candidates will draw an even higher number of voters to the polls. That means more moderates -- voters the local party leadership has less control over.

My opinion is that a downstate Democrat is the best option - so the coalition would be with downstate Democrat and moderate Republican voters married up with a strong base of support in RICO. That type of candidate is the only one that can upset the balance - a Dem from RICO will most likely always be apart of the RICO party system with little autonomy - the Republicans will generally look for name recognition or money - both would be the best option.

That is why it is difficult to get an average person to win even a primary election. Those who are dissatisfied are too splintered --how do you build a coalition of splintered parts?

Posted by: Rob Mellon at August 1, 2006 11:33 PM