« Phil Hare's game | Main | The cheapest of cheap political theater »

June 13, 2006

The paperwork

The State Board of Elections' list of latest candidate filings now includes Phil Hare in Congressional District 17.

No objection to the filing is listed, which I take to mean there hasn't been one. (Some of the filings listed include a notation that an objection is pending.)

Meanwhile, the Federal Election Commission website does not list a Phil Hare campaign committee, which I take to mean he hasn't yet filed organizational papers, which I further take to mean he hasn't yet raised the $5,000 that triggers the requirement to file. (See A correction)

Of course, I suppose that could mean that he just hasn't read the section of the election code that requires a committee to be designated once $5,000 has been raised. Or, alternately, maybe he read the rules but didn't understand them.

On the topic of Hare and rules, some of the commenters on this string on The Inside Dope contend that Hare may have missed the requirement that he resign as Lane Evans' aide when he declared his candidacy because the printed version of the ethics rules left out that part, which was only included on the ethics committee website.

I'll believe that when someone produces a copy of the print version that omitted the rule in question.

Posted by jcb at June 13, 2006 03:48 PM

Comments

John, you slay me - thanks for the chuckle!

Posted by: havinfun at June 13, 2006 04:11 PM

jcb, this is your snarkiest post ever----I love it!

Posted by: paladin at June 13, 2006 04:58 PM

The printed version is probably some abbreviated guidelines.
Just think for a minute. If anyone who was working decided to run for office, wouldn't the first thing they would do is to find out the employer's rules.

Posted by: Anon at June 13, 2006 05:12 PM

The deadline to object is the last day that his certificate of candidacy can be filed. That day is August 31, 2006.

One of the objections will be that Lane Evans had a "plenary guardian" on the date that he signed his declination of nomination. Since he could not sign a legal document, his declination of nomination is not valid.

Posted by: Anon at June 13, 2006 05:27 PM

But really who is going to file a protest? It sounds to me like the other candidates have been put on a short leash after reading Mellon?s post in one of the columns. The Support Hare or else ultimatum means political death for a challenger! Perhaps Sullivan could attempt it without major political repercussion worries, but anyone else in the group is putting their political head on a chopping block to be severed by Gianulis and the inner circle.

Posted by: NMP at June 13, 2006 09:30 PM

Anyone who lives in the 17th District, even if they're not registered to vote, can file an objection.
Probably the best outcome is to leave Evans name on the ballot and have him win like they did with the deceased candidate for Senator in Missouri.
Then everyone, including Pat Veronda, Amy Stockwell, Sen. Jacobs, all get a chance in a special election democratic primary.

Posted by: Anon at June 14, 2006 09:07 AM

Anon@9:07am, reminded me of something I read recently. It seems that Tom DeLay pulled an "Evans", and declined to run for another term right after he had won the primary. Citing some obscure law, the Dems are going to court to keep DeLay's name on the ballot, thereby denying his successor the likely win (kinda sounds familiar, doesn't it?).

If only our local GOP had the cojones that the Texas Dems have!

Of course, the downside here is that we are dealing with the Jersey Girl Syndrome. Anyone forcing a sick man like Evans to run another campaign would be painted and cruel and heartless.

Hey! I have an idea! If some legal eagle will draw up the paperwork for the objection, I'll file it. This will just be my small contribution to "sticking it to the man".

Posted by: paladin at June 14, 2006 03:26 PM