« Kewanee and a GOP dinner.... | Main | On to November »

March 20, 2006

Last minute money

In the run-up to election day, candidates are required to report contributions of greater than $500 within 48 hours of receipt. Here's the latest reports, as of this morning.

-- Jim Mowen, one of the three candidates for the 17th District Republican nomination, reported a $5,000 contribution to his own campaign.

-- Mike Jacobs, one of two candidates seeking the nomination as state senator in the 36th district, reported receiving $804.40 from Personal Pac and $1,000 from the Wine and Spirit distributers of Ill. PAC.

Personal Pac is the Chicago-based group running the telephone bank that's making calls distorting Paul Rumler's position on choice -- the calls say Jacobs is the only pro-choice candidate in the race though Rumler has made it clear he's pro-choice, too.

The calls are apparently continuing even though the Personal Pac people know perfectly well at this point that their message is inaccurate. Personal Pac earlier reported an in-kind contribution of $27,000 to Jacobs, related to the phone bank work.

Posted by jcb at March 20, 2006 09:06 AM

Comments

Personal Pac and Mike Jacobs, dirty politics at it's finest. Let's keep our fingers crossed that, after Tomorrow, we won't have to deal with it anymore.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 20, 2006 10:58 AM

John, did you hear about Boland's press conference? Apparently he announced that he is not endorsing Mike Jacobs. I guess he wasn't happy about his picture appearing in Jacobs flyers, etc. Rumor is that Obama isn't happy about it either.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 20, 2006 12:42 PM

Hadn't heard that, but I understand a reporter is talking with Boland along about now. Will update soon on what's being said.

Posted by: jcb at March 20, 2006 01:18 PM

Rumler was hand picked by Boland to run. Big surprise that Boland makes a stink about something the day before the election. Way to take care of our boy Boland!

Posted by: Anonymous at March 20, 2006 01:57 PM

That's not true. I've heard the Jacobs campaign called Senator Obama and got his OK. They're close friends.

As for Mike Boland, this is very strange. Am unclear about the mixed messages he's sending a few hours before the election. He sat in the same room and pledged support to Jacobs, Evans, etc. His statements today are very confusing.

Posted by: anonymous at March 20, 2006 02:05 PM

Now, isn't that politics as usual? I thought Boland and Jacobs had buried the hatchet?

Posted by: Anonymous at March 20, 2006 02:05 PM

I would be suprised if Boland would carry his hatred for Denny over to his son Mike. That would be very petty.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 20, 2006 02:11 PM

I saw Local Rocker producer Jude Cole, who has a recording studio with his partner Keifer Sutherland of the hit show 24, on the news last night stating that he was in town stumping yesterday with Sen. Mike Jacobs. He will help Jacobs with the younger crowd.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 20, 2006 02:15 PM

I saw it too. But do the younger crowd know who he is? I believe it was on channel 8.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 20, 2006 03:11 PM

Unless they are dumb, deaf and blind. Jude Cole co-wrote Lifehouse's number one single. "You and me."

Posted by: Blackbart at March 20, 2006 03:23 PM

Boland did say he hasn't endorsed Jacobs.

Here's the story: Boland: I didn't endorse Jacobs

Posted by: jcb at March 20, 2006 03:36 PM

Boland has never been a team player. No big surprise here folks.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 20, 2006 03:38 PM

There are also Jacobs discussions on:

Moline Democratic Maverick

The Inside Dope

Taking A Crack At It

Posted by: jcb at March 20, 2006 03:53 PM

Oh no, Mike Boland isn't endosting Senator Mike Jacobs. I wonder what Jacobs will do?

I was in the room when Illinois House Speaker Mike Madigan asked Jacobs and Boland if they were willing to support one and other. Both men agreed.

Now Boland has broken the "truce" which will have little if any politcal impact on Senator Mike Jacobs on Tuesday, and could have huge ramifications for Mike Boland in the general election.

Senator Jacobs is sitting on tons of campaign dough, and with a weak general election opponent, he could be come an unkown factor in Boland's race. Time will tell what Senator Mike Jacobs will do!

I do agree with Senator Jacobs that Barrack, Lane and Pat Verschoors endorsment are much more important to him (Jacobs) on election day!
Senator Obamha's Barrack

Posted by: Blackbart at March 20, 2006 03:54 PM

I'm not sure Mikey and supporters should be talking about how they huddled in a backroom with House Speaker Mike Madigan of Chicago and decided who was going to run for what offices in Rock Island County.

Shouldn't that be up to the primary voters, not the bosses?

Posted by: observer at March 20, 2006 04:04 PM

Just checked the state board of elections site again. Jacobs filed reports today showing he's picked up an additional $9,200 in the last 48 hours. Puts his fund well past $200,000 now.

Nothing new from Rumler, who's reported a total of about $5,000 in contributions so far.

Posted by: jcb at March 20, 2006 04:13 PM

As far as I know, not a single Chicago Democrat has a vote in our local Democrat Primary.

If Jacobs defies the odds and wins, who will the toothless bloggers blame for their crushing defeat?

Posted by: Blackbart at March 20, 2006 04:19 PM

Something new from Jacobs huh, backroom deals and sour grapes. Word around the campfire is that Jacobs trails in the latest polls. Looks like the negativity didn't pay off.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 20, 2006 04:20 PM

Try $280,000 and counting my mathmatically challenged friend.

Posted by: princeoftides at March 20, 2006 04:30 PM

Rep. Boland's actions today are nothing short of mysterious. He agreed with the strategy hatched with Sen. Mike Jacobs and Rep. Pat Verschoore, that they would run as a united Democratic team moving forward. And to call a news conference to talk about something so minor is ... mind boggling. Wouldn't a phone call do it?

Today's actions by Rep. Boland speak more about Boland's character than anything else. His agreement was apparently no good. Politics is an amazing business.

Posted by: anonymous at March 20, 2006 05:12 PM

Did anyone double check this supposed Obama endorsement? Usually they give a statement when then endorse, and, like Boland said they typically hold a press conference. I'm sure Jacobs is counting on the fact that Obama's office won't be able to respond in time to refute his claim. Somebody should have done some fact checking.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 20, 2006 06:21 PM

How long do you think it will be before Rumler moves back home to DC?

By the way, did anyone besides me notice that Rumler has only voted in on Democrat Primary in his entire life. That's right. I checked the Rock Island Democrat voter file and saw where Rumler has only voted one time since he turned 16 years old. Kinda pathetic don't ya think!

Posted by: cracker at March 20, 2006 06:45 PM

Aaahhh ... cracker echoes the "residency" issue that greeted Rumler's annoucement. On Rumler and residency (11/7/05)

Posted by: jcb at March 20, 2006 07:27 PM

Yeah, I agree that it should be the voters. However Boland gave his support at that time. He didn't have to listen to Madigan. He could have been his own man. He chose not to however. You can't blame Jacobs for that. Now Boland is going against his word. If a man can't be taken at his word then he just can't be trusted.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 20, 2006 07:30 PM

And by the way cracker a$$ cracker, the voting age is 18. At least to vote legally.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 20, 2006 07:35 PM

Is this the same Mike Boland that after he was defeated by Denny Jacobs decided to endorse Jacobs republican challenger?

What a suprise!
Never trust a man that doesn't keep his word.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 20, 2006 07:35 PM

If you don't fill out the Personal PAC questionairre, you are presumed to be pro-life.

Posted by: rich miller at March 20, 2006 07:56 PM

Rich, the D/A reported all that back on March 9:
Pro-choice Personal PAC takes responsibility for Rumler rumors

The arrogant assumption employed by Personal Pac is the issue. Thin gruel indeed to do a swift-boat style attack.

They've trashed a politician who supports their goals without even the curtesy of a telephone call.

Politics as usual.

Posted by: jcb at March 20, 2006 08:19 PM

Politics as usual is what Mike Boland pulled today. It's outrageous.

All Dems had his word he would support Mike Jacobs and how look what he's done. Boland agreed to support the united Democratic team.
What he pulled today was a cheap stunt to gain publicity, something we know he's good at. In politics, all you have is your word and he broke it.

Barack Obama is a strong supporter of the Jacobs, by the way, and whomever is posting to the contrary is completely wrong.

Posted by: anonymous at March 20, 2006 09:11 PM

Yeah right, Obama is intelligent, well-spoken, and positive, he's the Anti-Jacobs. Good luck convincing people otherwise. Obama wouldn't touch Jacobs with a 10 foot pole.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 20, 2006 10:13 PM

When Obama was here to open his Q-C office, he spoke kindly of both the former Sen. Jacobs and the current Sen. Jacobs.

Don't know if that translates into an endorsement ...

Posted by: jcb at March 20, 2006 10:39 PM

For the record, Denny Jacobs and Barack Obama were almost seat mates in Springfield. They played poker once a week. Barack called in to Denny Jacobs' retirement party, and then endorsed Mike Jacobs for the Senate seat. I'm sorry to burst someone's bubble out there, but those are facts and a call to Senator Obama's office will confirm them.

It amazes me that people out there can by so cynical about these things. Obama has endorsed Mike Jacobs. Fact.

Posted by: anonymous at March 20, 2006 10:54 PM

John,

When Denny Jacobs retired Senator Barack Obama called in from D.C. He praised Denny, wished him well, and endorsed Mike Jacobs at that time. There were 400 people at the City Centre to hear that. That's a fact.

I know there are folks out there who don't want to believe Barack Obama supports Mike Jacobs, but he does and that's a fact. Any doubters should call Obama's office first thing in the morning.

Posted by: anonymous at March 20, 2006 11:03 PM

Again, jcb, if you don't take the time to fill out the questionairre, even though you are warned of the consequences, that's your problem. period.

Posted by: rich miller at March 21, 2006 12:42 AM

I think what no one seems to have noticed is a very important distinction in this Boland hoopla.

Boland said that he agreed to STAY NEUTRAL in any races. He didn't say that he'd made a pledge to overtly SUPPORT Jacobs.

Boland is saying that he resents being characterized as supporting Jacobs, especiallly without being consulted, and that he'd pledged to speaker Madigan to remain Neutral as far as Jacobs goes.

In that respect, he's not going back on any word he may have given.

It seems to me that it boils down to whether Boland promised to SUPPORT Jacobs or merely to remain neutral.

Posted by: TID at March 21, 2006 02:22 AM

We will see how people react in the upcomming Boland race about a person that can't be taken at his word.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 21, 2006 08:11 AM

I agree about Boland. He is the dirtiest politician in our area and always has been. I had forgotten about what he did to Denny Jacobs years ago. Even though Mr. Boland was unopposed I did not vote for him.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 21, 2006 09:19 AM

So I voted today---Democrat, and for the first time ever (and I've been voting since the '70s) I wrote in candidates for some of those positions that were unopposed. Normally, I wouldn't vote for an unopposed candidate, but this time I voted for "none of the above"---just my small way of stickin' it to da man, sending a message that I'm tired of the political landscape in Rock Island County. The Politburo must die.

Posted by: paladin at March 21, 2006 12:47 PM

Glad to see you join the right team after casting so many silly votes over the years. Thanks for the vote!

Posted by: cracker at March 21, 2006 01:16 PM

I just looked at my mailers from Jacobs and they say DEMOCRATIC TEAM with pictures of Obama, Evans, Verschoore, Boland - it does not say "endorsed by". Where is the foul?

Boland should have stood up to MAdigan, ran for state wide office and OPENLY ran someone against the Jacobs machine instead of sneaking around for Rumler and staying put like a good boy.

Posted by: Jim at March 21, 2006 01:31 PM

You really can't blame Boland for doing what Madigan tells him to do. Boland can't raise any money because nobody in govenrment trust him to keep his word. Now that Boland has burned Madigan, I wonder what will happen?

Can a person "lie" striaght to Speaker Madigan's face and survive? This could be interesting.

Posted by: cracker at March 21, 2006 01:50 PM

Harrington in the general ran a tight race against Boland. If Jacobs were to lose could he put that money from his war chest against Boland. I will never vote for Boland again after this dirty trick.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 21, 2006 02:25 PM

I think Boland should be fine, with Rosa Parks being from the same area as Boland and all.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 21, 2006 02:35 PM

Boland supported a republican against a Jacobs - can't Jacobs help a republican against Boland?
An eye for an eye?

Posted by: Anonymous at March 21, 2006 02:58 PM

Where are all the Rumler commenters today? Oh yeah - he's out going door to door.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 21, 2006 03:02 PM

GO MIKE JACOBS!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous at March 21, 2006 03:23 PM

I like Rumler. I'm from Iowa so I'm not going door-to-door or voting. But I still like the guy. And he strikes me as neither off the wall nor sleezy, so he'd get my vote, if I were voting in this Democratic primary.

As for Personal Pac, they're playing dirty pool. They should be very comfortable working with the Jacobs clan.

And as for Rumler, there are far worse things than being accused of being pro life.

Posted by: Infamous Scribbler at March 21, 2006 03:49 PM

I didn't even realize that Boland was running this cycle until I got my ballot. Since Boland was so confident of a win, being unopposed and all, and since he failed to even attempt to make a case for his re-election---I wrote in an opponent for him---and voted for my write-in. No more bullsh*t!

Posted by: paladin at March 21, 2006 04:17 PM

John do you think that your endorsement was worth even 50 votes. You need to reevaluate your power. No wonder you were placed on the blogg patrol.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 22, 2006 01:07 AM

I have no clue if my "endorsement" was worth 5, 50 or 500 votes -- or minus one of those numbers.

Posted by: jcb at March 22, 2006 07:18 PM

John, I think too many Democrats out there (or maybe it's just a few agitated ones) are wildly overinflating the roles of these QC blogs. I mean, they get themselves tied into knots over criticism on these blogs and then post all kinds of wild commentary. Methinks they need to get a life.

Posted by: anonymous at March 22, 2006 07:27 PM

Especialy the blog owners.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 22, 2006 10:03 PM

I feel sorry for Paul Rumler's mom who put so much hard work and money into her sons race. It is never easy to lose, but to see someones mother put so much out there for her son was nice.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 22, 2006 10:13 PM

I'd say there's about 20-30 people total who view these things. And its only the intensely interested folks (i.e. folks whose job depends on politics in some way).

Too bad for Rumler. There's likely nothing here for him. He'll probably have to leave the area again to find something worthwhile to do.

Posted by: ILDC at March 23, 2006 09:26 AM

ILDC, you're probably right that most people who read the local blogs are intensely interested in politics, but you're way off on the number.

There were 2,400-plus unique visitors here in February, and I suspect that The Inside Dope gets even more. Throw in the other local blogs, subtract generously for overlap, and the "universe" of people who at least occasionally read is, I'd guess, somewhere between 3,000 and 5,000 people.

Posted by: jcb at March 23, 2006 12:05 PM

There are plenty of jobs in the QC for Paul. The unemployment rate here is below the nations rate. I understand that Boland will step down after this election. If paul was willing to move from RI to that side of the district that would be an option. Also Evans will hang it up probably after the 09 election. Then you have Vershoore that is not the youngest man in the world. You can't expect to come and beat a well respected State Senator and then say there is no hope for Rumler. I don't believe that. There are plenty of jobs outside of politics and there will be more in politics. If the kid chooses to stay here I think the sky is the limit.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 23, 2006 12:35 PM

Paul is used to the fast paced life in politics and I can hardly see him waiting around here to run for an office that might open up (maybe).

Posted by: Anonymous at March 23, 2006 02:02 PM

Wow. I had no idea it was that high. It'll be interesting to see if readership continues to climb in the coming months or if it slows temporarily due to the campaign cycle.

I wonder if Evans would put the kid on staff? My sense is that Phil Hare would probably not be very comfortable with that scenario.

Hoyer just got done with some minor staff shuffling. He may be able to find a spot back on the Whip's staff.

Posted by: ILDC at March 23, 2006 04:40 PM

Has Obama filled the staff position at his Q-C office yet?

Posted by: Anonymous at March 24, 2006 11:46 AM

Let's move on to something beside Rumler. Maybe some information about some of the republicans - don't know much about them.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 24, 2006 12:18 PM

Yes young Shamus Ahearn(spelling). He is the fellow that Obama mentioned in his carreer jumping speach at the national convention. He would make a great State Rep.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 24, 2006 10:36 PM