« Back in town, catching up | Main | Jo Anne Lambrecht Peck, R.I.P. »

March 06, 2006

Hardball and gutterball

You could call it campaign hardball, and be right. But gutterball is even more right.

Illustration the first would be the Rumler yard sign flap, over whether they bear the "bug" signifying they were made in a union shop.

Both here and at The Inside Dope, commenters have been busily claiming the bug is missing and that Paul Rumler used a non-union printer, which of course would be a sin in a Democrat primary. Others were quick to say that was a lie, that the bug is there; when I went and look, the half-dozen I inspected all had it.

The Dope ferreted out the facts, which were confirmed by Jeff Hartman, CEO of Precision Signz, the printing outfit. He said he's not only a union shop, but is the only one in town, and that he printed all of Rumler's signs. He said the bug was inadvertantly left off the first run, but tape-on bugs were sent out to be put on them.

So it's possible there are some signs out there without the bug -- but bug or not, Mr. Hartman says he printed them, at a union shop.

Illustration the second would be the phone calls mis-stating Rumler's position on abortion, saying that he's anti-choice. Not so, says Rumler in this statement posted on his website.

Among other things, the statement says that "Over the past week, residents have been contacted by callers spreading false information about Paul Rumler and his stance on abortion. Some of the phone calls indicated that Mike Jacobs was the only pro-choice candidate for State Senate. ...

"Paul Rumler supports reproductive choice and has not made statements to the contrary. I fully respect a woman's and a family's ability to make their own reproductive health decisions, including whether to have an abortion. These calls are completely baseless. I will not be intimidated by attempts to defame my character and slander my candidacy for State Senate. More importantly, I will not allow voters to be misled by people who are purposefully spreading false information and blatantly lying about the issues."

Wonder what comes next?
-------------

In the meantime, the latest round of campaign funding reports are showing up. Sen. Jacobs report reports shows he took in $50,925 from Jan. 1-Feb. 19, the period covered in the pre-election report. That's added to the $179,187.99 he had on hand Jan. 1. He's also taken in $5,750 in contributions of more than $500 each since Feb. 19. (Expenditures aren't reported on the pre-election forms.)

Rumler's pre-election report wasn't on the state board site when I last looked a couple of minutes ago. He had $1,960 on hand when the year started.

Update: The Rumler pre-election report is now on file with the state board of elections. Shows he took in $4,433 from Jan. 1-Feb. 19, to add to that $1,960 he had on hand Jan. 1.

Posted by jcb at March 6, 2006 02:26 PM

Comments

All the money in the world won't save Jacobs if this stuff gets wide publication.

Might Rumler have some legal recourse? Push polling is one thing, but totally fabricating "Truths" is Slander, as defined.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 6, 2006 02:43 PM

This SNEM stuff is just becoming bizarre. What is making him (and/or his supporters) so afraid? He has the Politburo behind him, he has his daddy's name and he is way ahead in money.

Why is he so frightened that he has to resort to this sort of nonsense? Kinda reminds me of Nixon in '72----he won by a landslide, but----- well, you know the rest.

Posted by: paladin at March 6, 2006 03:33 PM

I know that Jacobs ran at least one poll (a friend of mine was called). I'm guessing that the results showed that he was either locked in a dogfight, or trailing Rumler. Why else would he risk his (Dad's) reputation and pull this stuff? It seems pretty desperate.

Hey JCB, are the papers picking up on this story? Are they scared that Mike might come and chew them out like he did after the Rosa Parks thing?

Posted by: Anonymous at March 6, 2006 03:41 PM

jcb, union shops do not print non-union signs.

Posted by: MrDemocrat at March 6, 2006 09:25 PM

Jeff Hartman, CEO of Precision Signz said he's not only a union shop, but is the only one in town, and that he printed all of Rumler's signs.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 6, 2006 10:50 PM

This anon chat forum has to change. Anyone can say anything and get printed and attrtibuted to a person that may or may not have anything to do with it. I have heard nothing from the Jacobs camp regarding the lack of a Union bug on many of Rumler signs.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 7, 2006 08:16 AM

WAAA! WAAAAA! WWWWWAAAAAA!

Does Pauly and Johnny want their mommys?

Posted by: MrDemocrat at March 7, 2006 08:31 AM

who is Johnny?

Posted by: Anonymous at March 7, 2006 01:26 PM

MrDemocrat,

Thank you once again for proving to everyone the maturity level of the Jacobs camp. These childish post are making the decision on who to vote for extremely easy.

Posted by: fortunate son at March 7, 2006 01:31 PM

It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no Senator's son.

Posted by: John at March 7, 2006 03:27 PM

SNEM's little flyer came in the mail today. On the front is the hilarious question "What's In A Name?" On the back is an endorsement from Lane Evans who says SNEM deserves our support because "he's always been one of us." My guess is that in the last 20 years, Lane has spent more time out of the QCs than Rumler, but I can't really prove it.

Nothing like a little xenophobia to make your political point!

Posted by: paladin at March 7, 2006 04:05 PM

I got the piece form Jacobs today. What a professional piece. I didn't realize that Jacobs passed legislation on Violent video games. What a great Issue. I have young children. I know how these youngsters get into these games. I understand that these games lead to a great deal of real life violance. Nice job Sen. Mike Jacobs.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 7, 2006 04:59 PM

What a nice man Mike Jacobs is. I got mail from him today. I didn't know he had so many kids. He looks like he cares for them. I Like the way he wants to decrease the violence of these violent video games. Those boys in Colorado had those violent video games and you see what they can do. I was very impressed with Mr. Jacobs.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 7, 2006 09:44 PM

John, Could you please let me know where it is that Jacobs accused Rumler of using a non union printer. I am having trouble finding it.

Thanks!

Posted by: Anonymous at March 7, 2006 09:58 PM

I liked the photos of Senator Jacobs. He is a nice looking young man.

I didn't know that Mike was part of the "Team" that brought home the money to "jump start" construction at Western Illinois. Rep. Pat Verschoore , Congressman Lane Evans and Senator Mike Jacobs, and Boland are getting it done. Good job team!

Posted by: forjacobs at March 7, 2006 10:28 PM

Jacobs is cheesier on the blogs than he is in real life (if that's possible).

Posted by: Mayor McCheese at March 7, 2006 10:59 PM

OK, enough about yard signs. Every campaign there are charges and counter charges about yard signs. I think there are other union print shops in the QCs besides the one the Rumler campaign used, by the way. Also, if these phone calls are being made they have all the markings of an outside, third-party special interest group not affiliated with a campaign. That's where I would be looking right now.

Posted by: anonymous at March 7, 2006 11:52 PM

I think what's significant about Rumler's contributions are two-fold. Famed and noted trial attorney, Michael Warner, gave $500. That's huge news. That could mean the beginning of a flood of trial attorney money to Rumler.

Second, Laborers Local 309 gave $500. Laborers local #309 is where the RI County Democrats have their monthly meetings! That's huge news for Rumler. I hear the Laborers are giving more to Rumler -- maybe as much as $5,000!

Posted by: anonymous at March 8, 2006 12:02 AM

This union "bug" discussion is pretty amusing considering that there is nary a "union" printer left in the community. . . not just for signs but any printing work. Voters deciding who to cast their ballots for would be better off reading a candidate's platform and background than searching for a meaningless union label on a sign.

Posted by: Greg at March 8, 2006 08:11 AM

The trial attornies told Sen. Mike Jacobs that they would spend a million dollars to beat him. "BIG" Mike Jacobs stood up against special interest. Told them that he was for keeping Doctors in Illinois so that our seniors would be able to get the best health care that they could get without skyrocketing insurance cost. I am sure that the trial lawyers are going to back Rumler with late money and try and buy this election. Rumler should be for keeping doctors in Illinois and not for the Big trial attornies and the flash of there money.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 8, 2006 08:37 AM

Rumler is appearing at a candidate's forum tonight at Augie. There will be a chance to see first hand what he's all about. I guess Jacobs declined to appear. I'm sure he'll be as mute as possible until election day.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 8, 2006 09:59 AM

Anon 8:37, if "Big" Mike Jacobs has such high standards, can you explain why he accepted money from RJ Reynolds, and then voted against a bill to prevent smoking in college dorm rooms (among other places).

Posted by: MCA at March 8, 2006 12:57 PM

now that you know the facts about personal pac making these calls, and not Jacobs' campaign, dfo you plan to apologize to Sen. Jacobs, or do you plan to keep making up stories as you go?

Just wondering?

Posted by: BREAKINGNEWZ at March 8, 2006 09:32 PM

Personal Pac made these calls on Mike's behalf. I can't believe the Senator let that truth come out so easily. Accepting 27K is certainly proof that he knew about the calls, and approved of their nature.

So no, I will not apologize to Mikey. He should apologize to the constituents that he let down with his dirty tactics.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 8, 2006 10:57 PM

Groups call for candidates all the time. Never heard so much crying in my life.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 9, 2006 10:07 AM

Someone give that boy a hankey.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 9, 2006 03:47 PM

Anon 10:57... Believe it. He is not afraid to stand up and be accountabe for his positions.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 9, 2006 05:15 PM

When will he start then. More than three statements would be a start on his wbe page.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 10, 2006 07:37 AM

How many statements does Mikey have on his page?

Posted by: Anonymous at March 10, 2006 10:50 AM

Now children!

Posted by: Anonymous at March 10, 2006 12:34 PM

BIG MIKE JACOBS DON'T NEED NO STIKING WEB LOG!

Posted by: MrDemocrat at March 10, 2006 03:11 PM

Jacobs isn't computer savey. How is he going to have statements.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 10, 2006 03:12 PM

He has a site. State of Illinois Web Site
Senator Mike Jacobs

Posted by: Anonymous at March 16, 2006 11:57 AM

Calling this a website is akin to Junior's claim that his appointment as senator was really an "election."

Posted by: Anonymous at March 16, 2006 02:14 PM