« Terri's gone, but the drama continues | Main | Firefighters and rental inspections »

March 28, 2006

Evans won't be running

Quad-Cities Online is reporting Lane Evans will announce at noon that he won't seek re-election this fall.

The announcement comes less than 10 days after Evans won nomination to a 13th term.

Posted by jcb at March 28, 2006 11:06 AM

Comments

I'm sorry to hear it. I did phone banking for Mr. Evans in his first race, so I've followed his career a long time.
I trusted that, when he really could not do the job anymore, that he would say so.

Posted by: Tesla at March 28, 2006 11:22 AM

He must be in really bad shape to quit.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 28, 2006 11:37 AM

What a shame that Evans did not bow out earlier so that the voters could have decided his replacement instead of the party bosses.

Posted by: paladin at March 28, 2006 11:47 AM

It's the end of an era. Too bad the GOP nominated an idiot again.

Posted by: Sad at March 28, 2006 11:48 AM

Zinga is certainly not an idiot. I'm surprised John would allow a comment like that to be posted. It doesn't quite fit into the "respectful debate" column.

Posted by: ILDC at March 28, 2006 01:57 PM

Sad. I have heard that Paul Rumler and Mike Boland are in line for the job.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 28, 2006 04:59 PM

Mike Jacobs, fresh from a solid win, after 8 months of everyone calling him every name in the book, in private and in public, with 300K in his pocket, and the youthful energy for this district is the best choice to carry the 17th into the future. Put smart and intelligent Porter McNeil in the Senate, and the Demos will be set for another good run. Go Mike Go. Go Porter Go.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 28, 2006 05:36 PM

Rumler- a constant candidate in search of a job
Boland- the classic case of amibition with no talent.
Next.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 28, 2006 06:40 PM

GOOD FOR HIM , HE NEEDS TO BE AT HOME TAKING CARE OF HIMSELF.!! HE HAS DONE HIS JOB AND SHOULD HANG HIS HEAD HIGH. NO ONE WILL FORGET HIM AND WHAT HE HAS DONE. TODAYS NEWS SOUNDED LIKE HE DIED , SAYING EVERYTHING THAT HE DID AND WHEN HE DID IT.
THE "NEWS" "PEOPLE" NEED TO GROW UP, HE IS NOT DEAD HE IS LEAVING BECAUCE OF HIS HEALTH. EVERYONE IS THINKING OF YOU LANE,YOU DID THE RIGHT THING FOR YOU AND YOUR HEALTH. ITS BEEN A LONG ROAD FOR YOU LANE AND ITS HAD ITS GOOD AND BAD .
WISHING YOU ALL THE LUCK AND HOPE YOU DO NOT TOO SICK AND HAVE TO SUFFER.

Posted by: C.B. at March 28, 2006 08:56 PM

I JUST WANTED TO THANK LANE FOR EVERYTHING HE HAS DONE FOR OUR AREA OVER THE YEARS AND TO WISH HIM WELL. AS FOR A REPLACEMENT THERE IS NO REPLACING LANE EVANS WE HAVE TRUELY LOST OUR VOICE FOR OUR AREA!!!!!! BEST WISHES LANE

Posted by: BLACKIE at March 28, 2006 11:08 PM

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but there has already been some chatter nationally about Evans. CQPolitics has changed the rating of the 17th from Safe Dem to Leans Dem. There's also mention of Mike Jacobs as successor----he's been mentioned this way in two other blogs that I've read about this. Blech. Also much is made of the 51% Kerry 48% Bush as proof that the seat could be up for grabs. I'm skeptical. The CQPolitics article is here.

Posted by: paladin at March 29, 2006 07:33 AM

It is unfortunate that the Republicans will be in a gun fight armed with a water pistol.

Posted by: observer-2-all at March 29, 2006 10:20 AM

My undersatanding is that the nationals are leaning on the locals for Mike Jacobs to be the candidate. Time will tell.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 29, 2006 09:15 PM

How convenient that Evans decides to not run again after the primary election is over. This was planned. Once again the general public will have no say in who is representing them. I think I've read this story before. Having a hard time remebering who the characters were...............oh thats right the main parts were played by Mike Jacobs and Senator Daddy.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 30, 2006 07:05 AM

Yeah...Right!! Lane Evans just decided to let his Parkinsons get really bad. He just decided to get even sicker so he can appoint someone to his seat. Give me a break. That could be the dumbest comment I have read so far. Try a little compassion Anon 7:05. Envy rears its ugly head! YUCK

Posted by: Anonymous at March 30, 2006 11:32 AM

Your hatred towards Lane and Mike sickens me. Both of these men are making great sacrifices to serve the public. Your attacks ought to be directed toward yourself, as your attitude stinks. If you can do better jump in and help.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 30, 2006 02:31 PM

Unless Mike Jacobs and Lane Evans are slated for sainthood, I don't believe they are above criticism.

Posted by: paladin at March 30, 2006 04:08 PM

That's rich coming from an anonymous blogger.

Posted by: cracker at March 31, 2006 08:47 AM

Lane is being canonized tomorrow evening at the Lady of Guadalupe sight at the stroke of midnight. Be there or be square.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 31, 2006 11:30 AM

Just because you put cracker as your moniker, doesn't make your identity known. You are as anon as the rest of us.

Posted by: Anonymous at April 5, 2006 11:10 AM