« Who's to replace Getz? | Main | Is Evans anti-defense? »

March 10, 2006

D/A endorses Mowen

The D/A did its endorsement in the Republican congressional primary today. Jim Mowen gets the nod. Jobs, economy the issues

Posted by jcb at March 10, 2006 01:39 PM

Comments

Jim, could you please explain your comment in the QC Times last Sunday (page A8), "Let's face it, women are basically created to give birth"????????? Boy, that sets me back about 40 years!! Isn't that a sexist remark? We've worked very hard to gain equality in our world and I can't see myself going back to the 'bare-foot and pregnant in the kitchen' mentality. Is that all we're good for? I'm having a hard time with that one, Jim.

Posted by: ABD at March 10, 2006 02:12 PM

I saw that quote in the QCT, and it bothered me too, though I'm not a female.

Jim has lots going for him, but between remarks like that and his emphasis on religion, I'm holding back on what to do in that race.

Posted by: Anonymous at March 10, 2006 02:30 PM

Thank you for asking, please allow me to convey what I wrote to the QC Times...

"This letter is written to clarify a quote that was printed in the article over the weekend. I was speaking to the writer specific to the issue of abortion and we discussed the biological reality/ scientific fact that women, not men, give birth.

I made a statement of biological/ scientific fact, not a social statement. I appreciate the opportunity to clarify this statement."

Personally, I was disappointed that the article was written in a manner as to allow for such a misunderstanding. Thank you for allowing me to explain this.

Posted by: Jim Mowen at March 10, 2006 03:00 PM

"Scientific fact" from a guy with two business degrees. As someone pulling for Lane Evans I can only ask that you keep talking. Tell us the scientific facts about people on welfare, or the scientific merits of Intelligent Design.

I'm all ears Mr. Mowen.

Posted by: tiz at March 14, 2006 10:39 AM

Help me understand your position...am I incorrect in my belief that it is a biological fact that women, not men, give birth? Does a business degree disqualify me from making this statement of fact?

The grass is green, do I need a degree in horticulture to state this fact?

Posted by: Jim Mowen at March 15, 2006 01:48 PM

Does this mean that you are basically created to provide sperm? Did you really want us to believe you meant to say "women give birth, men do not" in the QCT article? If anything, that's a logical argument for you to stay out of abortion issues.

And no, you don't need a degree in horticulture to say that (most) grass is green, but if you were to come out and say that grass is "basically created to be green" somebody with a clue will call you on it every time. One might even point out that (given your background) you are not in any position to make specific scientific statements about grass.

Politicians in general and your party in particular have given science in this country a huge black eye in order to promote your social stances on things like abortion, intelligent design, euthanasia, etc. While I can't expect you to stop I (and many others who actually live, work, and teach this stuff) will keep calling you on it.

Posted by: tiz at March 16, 2006 12:58 AM