« Call them optimists | Main | Splashy plans for a bridge celebration »

February 22, 2006

Isabel Bloom reconsiders

I'm in Dixon at the Kolb trial or I'd be talking about this story.

Is this enough to mollify the community?

Posted by jcb at February 22, 2006 09:30 AM

Comments

I will never buy another Isabel Bloom even if they have changed their minds about going to china. These owners don't care about anyone but themselves and will eventually go out of business if others do the same and do not buy their products. Mrs. Bloom did would never have operated her business this way.

Posted by: Kitty at February 22, 2006 10:29 AM

This IB kerfuffle, plus Kitty's comment, makes me think of the Great Beanie Baby Scam.

For those who can't remember the last decade, Beanie Babies were the hot ticket, and The Beanie Baby Guy (don't remember his name) was a rich as Croesus. But, of course, that wasn't enough for him. At the height of the Beanie Mania, Mr. Beanie announced that he was going out of business. Adult collectors, plus countless children (of which my then-young son was counted) were heartbroken.

So what to do in the face of this outcry? Well, Mr. Beanie decided that everyone should vote as to whether he should get back into the Beanie Baby business or not. I didn't see the final figures, but I assume they were underwhelming. Bottom line----Mr. Beanie missed his millions and decided to restart production of the Babies, which was met with withering indifference.

Bottom line----hoorah for capitalism and consumers who know when they are being dissed.

Posted by: paladin at February 22, 2006 02:33 PM

I think it's too late for many people. I read in the Dispatch story that 75 percent of IB business comes from their stores in the Q-C, Des Moines and Naperville. So it's not hard to see why they suddenly became contrite.

Posted by: Vita at February 22, 2006 03:19 PM

I believe that this is just a backup plan just in case the whole China experiment fails. They became scared that no one would buy their stuff again and basically needed something to fall back on in case it tanks. Lets face it...now, if things go well in China, they close the American manufacturing stores. If it fails, the say "we made a mistake" and move on. If the close the American stores as planned, what option do they have if the China experiment tanks?

Who wants another worthless piece of plastic from China anyway?

Posted by: Dave at February 22, 2006 06:23 PM

Who wants to buy the "fake" IBs? Once word gets out there's TWO to choose from........well, I know which one I'll buy.........I feel sorry for the other market the owners propose to sell to.

Posted by: Pat Stoltz at February 22, 2006 07:17 PM

I think it's crap. Who wants to buy a product from a company who two weeks ago was ready to leave the QC? They're still going to China! I don't care if they stay here are not- the damage is done. How will you tell if you've got something from the QC or China?
I don't support it. The only good that came from this decision is that there won't be any jobs lost.
My Isabel Bloom buying days are over.

Posted by: j.s. 27 at February 23, 2006 08:42 AM

I'm finished purchasing IB. It used to be the hilight of my Christmas shopping and various other events throughout the year. No MORE!!!

Posted by: Phyllis at February 23, 2006 06:23 PM

I think it is great that they have reconsidered. It means that maybe we as consumers do have a voice. As for all of you who think it is crap, well, have you ever said or done something and then thought later, "I messed up." ? Be honest, I bet we all have. No, I don't agree with them moving to China, but at least we still have our store here. And how can you tell whether it is from China or the Quad Cities? Well, you should have listened to the news.

Posted by: Janet at February 23, 2006 07:22 PM

The Isabel Bloom jobs, low wage and low tech by all accounts, are just the ones which should be sent off shore to places like China. Now that citizens and consumers have 'revolted' to stem the exodus of the concrete replica reproduction jobs, what do you think about a similar uprising to keep Deere from offshoring its software development jobs to India?

Posted by: greg at February 23, 2006 10:07 PM

There's something weird about the fascination with a mass produced object that is marketed as a piece of art and "signed" by an artist who has been dead for several years.

Posted by: juice at February 23, 2006 10:11 PM

How will we really know they are true QC made statues anymore? Once the China plant begins, no one will really know will they??

Posted by: anonymous at March 2, 2006 07:48 PM