« Concerts on parade | Main | Isabel Bloom reconsiders »

February 20, 2006

Call them optimists

The subject line on the email from Jim Mowen was "This is insane!" I assume Mowen, who's in a three-way race for the Republican congressional nomination, was talking about his campaign schedule for the next couple of weeks, which was included in the email. Among other things, he'll be doing six Lincoln Day dinners in six different counties between now and March 5.

Andrea Zinga's schedule shows she's about as booked up as Mowen. Brian Gilliland has a calendar on his website, but there are no events listed in it. May just be slow updating -- Gilliland has been making appearances with the two others at various places, including the Sangamon County Lincoln Day dinner a few days back.

Incidentally, Bernie Schoenburg of the State Journal-Register says the Sangamon County Central Commitee endorsed Mowen. First county committee to take sides in the race as far as I know.

While the campaign schedules may be crazy, the truly insane thing here may be going through all that for a chance to take on a popular incumbent in a district that's grossly and obviously gerrymandered to fit ... the incumbent. Give all three of the GOPers credit for optimism.

Posted by jcb at February 20, 2006 01:30 PM

Comments

I saw a post on this Schoenburg column a couple days ago on TID and in my reading of it, I came away understanding that it was the state party that endorsed Mowen, not just the Sangamon County organization.

Posted by: Abby Normal at February 20, 2006 02:05 PM

I'm wondering if the failure of the Politburo/Evans camp to address Lane's obvious physical limitations has reach critical mass. In the past, anyone who brought up Lane's failing health was denounced as being anti-disability. That seemed to work in the last election cycle. But I'm wondering if the Republicans are thinking that, inspite of gerrymandering, many hard-core Democrats are thinking Lane may not be up to the job.

I don't know Lane Evans personally, and don't know anything about his personal life, but I do believe it's time for those people who value Lane as a person, and not just as a politician to speak to him about what he is doing to himself and to his party by running in his obvious failing state.

Posted by: paladin at February 20, 2006 04:01 PM

I missed the Dope's entry, but I read the column to mean the Sangamon County GOP had endorsed, since county chairman Tony Libri was being quoted, with no indication he was speaking for the state party.

Posted by: jcb at February 20, 2006 05:04 PM

We hear that Lane Evans' announcement for re-election has been postponed (was scheduled for tomorrow). You have to start wondering if health issues are finally catching up.

Posted by: anonymous at February 20, 2006 05:04 PM

Stopped by Evans' website. He's got several town hall meetings scheduled over the next week.

Anon 5:04 -- Heard otherwise, too, that tomorrow's announement had been postponed. Grapevine-ish reason I heard was vague, scheduling conflict of some sort.

Posted by: jcb at February 20, 2006 10:22 PM

Paladin is correct.
When I wrote a post simply mentioning the obvious fact that Evans' condition makes it difficult for him to speak and campaign as one normally would, and also made prominent mention of the fact that I wasn't inferring that it prevented him from being an effective representitive, I got the most vicious and hateful response of anything I've ever posted, complete with physical threats.
Incredibly ugly.

And all this for simply mentioning the obvious.

Interestingly though, they didn't quite go as far as to accuse me of being "anti-handicapped" however.

But obviously, even if a supporter simply mentions the 8000 lb elephant in the room, it's enough to cause some to want to physically attack them.

Nice bunch of folks.

Posted by: TID at February 21, 2006 12:12 PM

The nomination is not worthless, no matter what anybody says.

The value mainly comes from the possibility that he either has a publicized accident while campaigning, becomes seriously incapacited or worse.

That's why there's a three way race here.

Posted by: ILDC at February 21, 2006 03:01 PM

TID… I can't believe the things you say about arguably the greatest US Rep to come to our district in its history. To act as if Parkinson’s is a disease that renders the brain useless is incredibly ignorant. Stop attacking the disabled. You might think about a little sensitivity training. If you want a Republican Rep. over Lane then you are truly a republican plant, which has been suggested before. I thought that was crazy talk until I saw this from you. This is sad, as I was a follower of you and had respected you for a long time. This issue has wakened me to your nasty nature.

Posted by: NO TID at February 21, 2006 06:37 PM

"Greatest US Rep to come from our district in its history' - please explain. Other than being a nice guy and having good constituency services, is there something SPECIFIC that you can point to to back up this assertion?

Posted by: skeptical at February 22, 2006 05:12 AM

Unfortunately, NO TID represents the current Politburo/Evans camp thinking about how to handle Evans' health issues. The fact that Evans/Politburo doesn't address these legitimate questions openly and honestly, and instead sends surrogates to attack those who raise honest questions about Lane's health, makes me believe one of two things (or maybe both):

1. That Lane's health is even worse than we suspect, and Evans/Politburo are afraid to come out with the honest truth; and

2. that the Politburo/Evans camp have the same arrogant attitude as Dick Chaney and believe they only have to answer health questions once.

Both are a disaster, and leave Evans vulnerable, in my view, even in the gerrymandered 17th Dist.

Posted by: paladin at February 22, 2006 02:13 PM

In 2004, this is how it broke down in the 17th:

Kerry 148,562 (51%)
Bush 139,251 (48%)

(Source: Almanac of American Politics)

This information has been kept very quiet, and I'm not sure why. If Evans falls down during a campaign event, Mowen or Zinga takes these numbers straight to Washington to ask for national assistance. And they might just get it.

Posted by: ILDC at February 22, 2006 04:26 PM