« The Dope does a Jacobs-Rumler poll | Main | Confirm Alito »

January 15, 2006

The Fly returns

The D/A had a story today on blogs and their impact, or lack of it. Included a reference to Davenport Daily Politics, which led me to check to see if the site was still up, even though The Fly quit posting Nov. 18 and declared he/she was done. Discovered, tah dah, The Fly is back.

The Fly says the blog will concentrate now on Iowa politics rather than the Davenport scene. Whichever -- welcome back Fly. I dropped DPP from my links section last fall when The Fly said he/she was done, but I'll restore it pretty soon.

Am also adding links to a couple of new QC blogs: The Bridge to Somewhere and QC Media Review.

Posted by jcb at January 15, 2006 11:51 AM

Comments

I have several things to say about this:

1. Did Tory Brecht scoop Ms. Sievers on this story? I never read QCTimes, so I don't know, but I do know that you mentioned that Tory was working on a story like this. If so, how about being magnanimous and giving us a link?

2. Don't they have editors down there at D/A? The way The Passing Parade is described, it looks like it is part of D/A or QCOnline at least. It should have read "The Passing Parade is the personal blog of John Beydler, news editor of QCOnline"--etc. I'm thinking the D/A will get a lot of grief from SNEM or "his people" for this----although I'm sure D/A can handle SNEM.

3. But even more provocative is the quote from Rich Miller saying that "the style and comments seem to point to Sen. Jacobs." Holy Firestorm Batman!

Posted by: paladin at January 15, 2006 04:10 PM

Oh, yeah, one more thing about the D/A article on political blogs: I loved the non-denial denial from SNEM when asked "if he posted the comments". Not surprisingly, SNEM changed the subject. It's a pity we can't see Ms. Sievers' notes on the interview with SNEM. They would be rather illuminating, I would think.

Posted by: paladin at January 15, 2006 04:24 PM

QCT never had a story so far as I know. Not unusual -- reporters often make calls about some or another topic and then in the end decide not to proceed.

Wording you suggest for describing the PP would have been more felicitous.

Rich spends a lot of time covering the legislature and talking with legislators -- that's the "weight" behind his opinion, take it or leave it.

Posted by: jcb at January 15, 2006 04:35 PM

Thanks for the "welcome back". I'm not really sure what politics I'm going to blog about - could be Iowa, could be national, could be I'll become smitten by the upcoming Canadian election - but it won't be Davenport. That place fries my patience.

Posted by: Fly at January 16, 2006 11:21 AM

Come on Fly. The dolphins are almost ready to start splashing in Nikky Bowles' fountains north of 53rd Street. There really isn't a local community more politicized than Davenport. It truly needs its own political blog, and your replacements are but weak imitations.

Posted by: greg at January 16, 2006 08:21 PM