« Boo hiss | Main | Obama and the editorial board »

January 27, 2006

And the staff?

Sen. Barack Obama said during the grand opening of his Quad-Cities office on Friday that Kathy Harrington and Anita Decker will staff it on a temporary basis. Permanent staff will be named within a month, he said.

So, who would you recommend for the job(s)?

Posted by jcb at January 27, 2006 04:52 PM

Comments

Well, Porter McNeil comes to mind. He's got pertinent experience and seems to be fairly well respected by most everybody.

Or, how about some really young and fresh face for the local scene.

Posted by: Anonymous at January 27, 2006 05:25 PM

Porter wants to be the State Rep after Boland retires. Not sure he wants to tackle a job that pays as little as this one would.

Posted by: Anonymous at January 27, 2006 05:37 PM

I think that Paul Rumler would do a fine job.

Posted by: Anonymous at January 27, 2006 06:23 PM

This is a little off-topic, but if Porter (nice guy) is waiting for Boland to step aside, I feel sorry for him.

RICO D's don't step aside. Stu's in his 90s. JohnG's in his 80s. Lane's never going to give up. Denny only gave up to put the fix in for Mike. Top to bottom, they just keep going and going and going.

If Boland ever does advance or decide to get out, he'll so the same thing they all do. Quit midterm and try to put the fix in for the next guy. Porter's patient waiting may or may not count for anything when that day comes.

Posted by: Observer at January 27, 2006 06:56 PM

Go for it John!

Posted by: Supagenus at January 27, 2006 10:00 PM

Ahern should be Boland's replacement. Good guy, good D.

Posted by: Anonymous at January 27, 2006 11:30 PM

I dont think Porter lives in Bolands district. Ahern has been a good D for many years and I think that he would do a fine Job.

Posted by: Anonymous at January 29, 2006 09:45 PM

McNeil, along with some others, would be good for either the Obama job or the State Rep job. He's worked for the Speaker of the Illinois House & many other statewide Dems. He's a team player. But I hear they only have funds to pay a college-age type salary ($25,000) for the QC job.

Posted by: Anonymous at January 29, 2006 11:30 PM

Why not former Moline Alderman Pat O'Brien for the Obama staff job? He knows municipal gov't, knows the issues, works well with Ds an Rs. Interesting idea.

Posted by: anonymous at January 29, 2006 11:33 PM

If you're right about the $25,000 salary, that may mean that people with families and mortgages won't be lining up for the job.

Posted by: jcb at January 30, 2006 10:00 AM

Liz Fredrickson is better qualified than anyone else mentioned so far. She is bright, attractive and a very effective person. Liz would also bring a wealth of politcal experience to the job!

I really hope she gets the open post!

Posted by: 1stpost at January 30, 2006 10:52 AM

Color me out of touch, but I don't know Liz Fredrickson. More info?

Posted by: jcb at January 30, 2006 10:57 AM

Hey, I don't know Liz Fredrickson either, but 1stpost has the right idea. Obama should hire some up and coming young Dem, and not some well known local politico who may have some baggage and lord knows what else----give the kids a chance!

In the interest of disclosure, I am not a Democrat (just married to one), but in Rock Island County, Democrats are pretty much the whole show.

Posted by: paladin at January 30, 2006 04:09 PM

Liz Fredrickson is the daughter of Denny Jacobs and thus the sister of Mike Jacobs.

Posted by: Anonymous at February 7, 2006 10:10 AM

With all due respect to Liz Fredrickson, who is very qualified, Porter has worked for the Speaker of the Illinois House, Sen. John Kerry, Sen. John Edwards, Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack, Illinois Comptroller Dan Hynes, the U of I - Spfld, former Democratic Natinal Committee Chair David Wilhelm, the Daily Dispatch -- to name a few. He'd be a huge asset.

That's not to say Liz wouldn't. But McNeil a blue chip bio. I know him well, he's a good guy, but I don't think the Obama folks are able to pay very much for this job.

Posted by: anonymous at February 8, 2006 11:03 PM