« Notes from the home front | Main | Picnicking with the GOP... »

September 15, 2005

Aha! The Chertoff memo surfaces

I earlier said I'd sure like to see Homeland Security Director Michael Chertoff's response to the now infamous "what, me worry" memo written by FEMA director Michael Brown Monday, Aug. 29, while Katrina ravaged the gulf coast.

It may not be the direct response, but Knight-Ridder Newspapers has a Chertoff memo from Tuesday, Aug. 30, when the full extent of the disaster in New Orleans was known.

It shows Chertoff to be as clueless as Brown about what to do.
Here's the memo, from The Knight-Ridder Washington bureau site.

Problems in DHS originated at the top.

Here's a discussion from The Huffington Post.

Posted by jcb at September 15, 2005 10:09 AM

Comments

I've noticed that all your ire is directed toward the federal government. As more information is coming in, it appears that all levels of government were to blame. Even the obviously demented Governor Blanco today accepted responsibility for what happened at the state level.

Why are you only blasting the feds? Just askin'

Posted by: paladin at September 15, 2005 01:01 PM

The repeat, from my "Ditch the hacks, guard the money" post, (which you commented on):

"... a word for those many good people who are grumbling about the shortcomings of New Orleans's mayor and Louisiana's governor. I don't much care if New Orleans hangs its mayor or gives him a medal. If they're short the needed item, be glad to send either the rope or the medal. Same for Louisiana and its governor. Local issues for the locals to settle.

"For the rest of us, the shortcomings in the Homeland Security Department are front and center."

Posted by: jcb at September 15, 2005 01:10 PM

OK, I relent. On Passing Parade: 99.5%=blame feds; 05%= blame others.

Posted by: paladin at September 15, 2005 02:06 PM

An addendum for those interested in how the locals settle blame/credit issues as far as Louisiana officials are concerned:

nola.com, the Times-Picayune website, will probably be a good listening post to follow formation of investigative committees, commissions, etc.

Mentioning nola.com also gives me an opening to say how much professional admiration I have for the job Times-Picayune has done under impossible circumstances. Among other things, nola.com almost instantly offered tools for people to contact each other and to share info about specific neighborhoods, etc.

Posted by: jcb at September 16, 2005 01:12 PM

While we're investigating wrongdoing at all levels of government, it appears the press is due for an examination as to why so much of their original reporting was just flat-out wrong. Journalists lied, people died! (Or says this NOLA.com article) http://www.nola.com/newslogs/tporleans/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_tporleans/archives/2005_09_26.html

Posted by: paladin at September 27, 2005 08:31 AM